Having Trouble Getting my Eel to Eat...

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
Several weeks ago my tank had completely awful nitrates. I was having some trouble getting him to eat. He was getting better and he was almost back to normal. About 4 weeks ago I did a 95% water change and got the nitrates down to a good level. Ever since then he has been eating but not nearly as much as he used to. :( What do you guys think about this, his appetite seems to be getting a little better but not much...

Some times eels wont eat for awhile. Also you should never do a water change that large, it can cause the tank to recycle. It looks like you were very very lucky to not have that happen.

Do more frequent, small water changes. Also what is your stocking like? How much are you feeding the other fish? What equipment do you have on your tank?

We need to address why you had such high nitrates to prevent them from return to that level

Some times eels wont eat for awhile. Also you should never do a water change that large, it can cause the tank to recycle. It looks like you were very very lucky to not have that happen.

Yes I've heard they can go a while without eating. You don't think it's to much to worry about? What do you mean it could recycle?

Do more frequent, small water changes. Also what is your stocking like? How much are you feeding the other fish? What equipment do you have on your tank?

We need to address why you had such high nitrates to prevent them from return to that level.

I was 7 years old when my father put the tank together and got the eel... My father quickly lost interest in the tank so the eel is the only fish we got. He was probably being a little over fed when my father was feeding him. I have a sump with bioballs and caulerpa. The main reason why the nitrates got so high is because we didn't have anything except the caulerpa and there wasn't a water change done for............. um....... well......... about 3 years......:oops:........:passedout........:death:

Please don't call the humane society...

Oh goodness!

ya, doing regular water changes, getting rid of the bio balls and pulling some rubble in that space should help a ton!

But dont remove the bioballs at one once. Take out a handful every week. You want to let the bacteria living in the tank to increase, to make up for what you remove when you take out the bioballs.

And i wouldnt worry too much, i think sharkie ( a member on here, had her eel go for a month without eating).

Also cycling the tank means that you allow for the bacteria population that will process the fish waste to grow. So when you replace that much water, it can kill off that bacteria and the tank has to recycle. When a tank is cycling you have ammonia and nitrites present, which are very toxic to living things. Thats why you never want to cycle with live animals.

Also that large of a parameter swing when doing a large water change can be very stress to the live stock, which is also why you never want to do large water changes like that.

But now you know! Glad he made it through! Can we see some pics? I bet he a pretty pretty fish!

But now you know! Glad he made it through! Can we see some pics? I bet he a pretty pretty fish!

I'm planning on getting some more live rock and a triggerfish. Maybe when I have the stuff I'll take some pictures or a video. :D

I know, it's just a dumb excuse to procrastinate...

BOOOOO!

Pics or it didnt happen!!

And im not sure that your tank is long enough for a trigger, they really need 6 feet of swimming room.

Kudos for taking over care of the tank Alex...this website and the people here will steer you in the right direction...!

Okay, here are the pictures:

dsc07640h.jpg
The rocks in the middle were more orderly but he insists on having them like that...

dsc07640h.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07640.jpg
    DSC07640.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 966
  • DSC07641.jpg
    DSC07641.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 720
  • DSC07642.jpg
    DSC07642.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 822
Also you should never do a water change that large, it can cause the tank to recycle.

Would it have necessarily caused a cycle though? I agree with your next post where you said that a large water change is bad because of the parameters making a major swing too fast. But the bacteria live mostly on the rocks and the sand, and not much on the water column

Nnow if his rocks were exposed to the air too long and caused some die off, then I could see how it would have cycled. But in generaly, lilfish is right in that you should never do more than a smaller water change...I think the max you should do is maybe 40-50%, and only in an emergency, but typically several 20% water change over a few days would work.

Hope your eel comes out ok.

I just noticed one of his teeth is really loose, like wiggling around in the water flow. Could this be the reason that he doesn't want to eat? He sniffs the food then starts to bite it then stops.

Back