Having Trouble Getting my Eel to Eat...

Make sure that anything you feed him doesn't come out of a can ;) i don't think they would eat salmon as it isn't super natural in a reef setting... stick with tuna or mahi mahi (or silversides) when you feed fish :)

He would be able to "eat" a yellow tang actually... More likely bite it and fatally wound it...eels have 2 sets of jaws... one thats external (the one we see) and one internally in their throat, this gives them "double" chewing/eating... they can open their mouths up HUGE so don't underestimate them ;) my arrow crab was HUGE (by means of huge his legs were about 12" each when unfolded!) and kona ate him in one gulp.

If your nitrates are under control just doing water changes then i would say you probably dont need one

My nitrates stay at about 30 ppm if I do a 20% water change once every two weeks. There's this mud stuff in my sump that probably has a bunch of :pooh: in it. I'm planning on removing it. I just got some of biff's chaeto so that should help too.

Well, I got some silversides today, it's been a while since I've seen him so enthusiastic about food... Now every time that I come up to the tank he comes up to me... He's doing better but still not %100.

thats great :) try to feed him until he stops showing interest, this might be the only time he'll eat for a while... eels can be silly like that ;)

Ugh, he's still not eating very well. I can probably get him to eat a max of 6 shrimps or silversides a week...:cry:

I was reading sharkie's thing on snowflake eels and he said that he feeds his five silversides every otherday???

It's weird, even though he's usually not very interested in food, sometimes he'll get excited then bite the thing then just drop it and jump back in his pipe. It's like he's forgotten how to eat. Is it possible that he got brain damage from the nitrates???

I tried calamari once or twice and he ate some, but he was just as unenthusiastic... I've also tried some sushi (tuna and salmon) he ate a little tuna but it took a while for him to eat it. He never ate any of the salmon, it's not that he doesn't like salmon. My father used to feed it to him a while back when he would make sushi. I wish I could buy live feeder shrimp locally. I just hate feeding live fish...

Well, feeding them live gold fish is pretty bad for them anyways.

Have you tried putting garlic on the food? It seems to be a pretty good appetite stimulant for fish.

Why are goldfish bad for them? I haven't tried garlic yet. Can I just put some garlic powder in a glass of water then soak a silverside in it?

The proteins, fatty acids etc for freshwater fish are different from saltwater fish. You should try and feed saltwater based foods to saltwater fish. Also, im pretty sure that the goldfish feeder fish are just strait up unhealthy for any fish. I dont remember the exact reason though, probably have very little nutrition or the correct nutrition. Something like that.

And i think sprinkling garlic powder strait on the shrimp or whatever you are going to feed might be more effective.

But in the end, i would not be too worried about him not eating a ton. He isnt starving, and i suspect he will come around eventually.

Do you think he look like a good weight?

dsc07662o.jpg

Back