Hawaiian Mann's Anemone - keeping it alive

Everyone has you covered, but slow down. 1 week in between fish is not enough. I waited 4-6 weeks before adding another fish. I would take all the advice you got here to heart, because you've got years of experience from people here...years of trial and error.

Also realize if this nem dies, they release toxins that will kill off your tank.

:frustrat:

We arent trying to be mean or anything, but those are living creatures in your tank that YOU are responsible for.

Which is why we are posting on a message board asking for advice.

We are learning too and we're looking for good suggestions. We were able to collect a lot of information that will be helpful keeping the anemone happy. Powerheads on different timers to alternate current in the tank, increase salinity, don't use buffer, wait longer between adding things in the tank, feed less, add more lights. That is useful to us, and will help us keep our tank happy and healthy which is what we want to do.

Everyone has you covered, but slow down. 1 week in between fish is not enough. I waited 4-6 weeks before adding another fish.

Yeah that's what we heard as soon as we posted. We were going on info we'd been given before. It's good to know, because honestly we didn't realize that. We were told at least a week and no more than 1 or 2 (max) things at each point. Waiting longer is one of the easiest things to fix!!

Nothing likes a direct powerhead current pointed at them, but you can point the powerhead a rock or the tank wall and it will bounce off the surface and diffuse out. If you have enough flow for the tank (about 30 turn over per hour is a good target), you should be able to keep them happy with randomish flow thought the tank.

Someone else suggested putting multiple power heads on timers so the current in the tank changes throughout the day. What do you think of this idea?

Unless you buy powerheads that are meant to be shut on and off, you will wear them out faster that way. And i personally dont think its a big deal, but you should have mulitple powerheads anyways.

And you should be doing your research before you buy any creature, that is what people are upset about. This whole situation could have been easily avoided. But now you know.

The best thing to do would be to take the new anemone back to where you bought it for store credit before it dies. There is a reason it has poor survival rates. Really just trying to help. I know it's hard to hear that you've been given bad advice. Your tank will improve now that you've found Living Reefs :D

I've never seen that type of anemone for sale before in a fish store, so I'm not familiar with its specific care. Usually, if we're not used to seeing it for sale, there's a reason for that, and a good sign to avoid purchasing that animal. ;)

I hope you have good luck with your guy. I know you are doing the best you can for it. Anemones in general are tough critters to keep alive (except for the pest ones -- go figure), so you have an extra tough challenge ahead of you.

Putting your powerheads on a timer or wavemaker may help, but I still don't see that coming close to the type of turbulence the anemone is used to in its natural environment.

I've never seen that type of anemone for sale before in a fish store, so I'm not familiar with its specific care. Usually, if we're not used to seeing it for sale, there's a reason for that, and a good sign to avoid purchasing that animal. ;)

We see them our list quiet often.But like was stated,there is a reason you don't see them at the LFS very often. They require a crashing current along with massive amounts of light to even survive.Let alone thrive.

There is really no way we can replicate that in our tanks.Unless of course you want to set up a lagoon style system complete with a tide cycle and crashing waves. Which would be completely awesome.

BTW
Whoever sold you that anemone.Go back there and get your money back.Even if you have to take it out of their ass.

There must be some demand for this type of anemone, which would suggest people are keeping them successfully. I wonder if anyone else on here has tried keeping them as opposed to offering second hand info.

I promise those of you lecturing about adding fish I will only add fish at each solar eclipse. But I have interest in this anemone and wonder if anyone can offer some first hand knowledge of how to successfully keep them.

Before you get pissy I won't be taking mine back either. I am fish keeping for the challenge of understanding and trying to keep creatures on an increasing level of difficulty. So skip the living things lecture as well unless you have worked your soup kitchen this week and are planning on donating rooms in your house to homeless. The attempt is to give the fish a happy home but some of you are over the top if only you cared for your fellow humans half as much as tank bred animals.

There must be some demand for this type of anemone, which would suggest people are keeping them successfully. I wonder if anyone else on here has tried keeping them as opposed to offering second hand info.

There are a lot of animals sold in this hobby that have terrible survival rates, but they are pretty so people buy them anyways. Flame scallops are a good example. I know of one, maybe two people that have been able to keep a flame scallop alive for more than a few months. Yet they are available in every LFS because they look nice.

Besides, no one here has ever seen them for sale in an LFS. Which indicates there is very little demand for them in the first place.

The attempt is to give the fish a happy home but some of you are over the top if only you cared for your fellow humans half as much as tank bred animals.

These animals are not tank bred. That's kind of the point. They are taken from the wild. We owe it to them to give them a good quality of life.

Besides, I've already helped to build one homeless veteran's shelter and daycare center for low-income children this year. I think I'm good. ;)

Last edited:
BTW Brian.
Might as well not even try to out type Biff.Ain't gonna happen,even on a good day with 32 fingers.
I give up on that years ago.

BTW Brian.
Might as well not even try to out type Biff.Ain't gonna happen,even on a good day with 32 fingers.
I give up on that years ago.

Oh trust me, I know I'll never out type her especially on my iPhone keypad.

Mods 3, Troll 0 lol :)

I know its not nice when your told you cant have something, trust me! i pout, i sook, and i look at the fish longingly but if i cant take care of it, i cant.

Most of these ladies and gentlemen have been in the reef hobby for years. Not weeks, not months, years. At first even i thought they were just being mean, but i quickly realized they were just being REAL.

So thank you living reefs for telling me, i dont care how pretty it is, bring it back ;)

Back