1. It’s competition time here on Living Reefs! All you need to do to enter is to post on the forum or refer a friend, and you could be in with a chance to win an algae scrubber worth $100. The deadline is the end of June, so don’t leave it too late. Check out the details here: Competition! Win a HOG algae scrubber worth $100
    Dismiss Notice

Health Care

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bjohanson1234, Dec 24, 2009.

1. bjohanson1234

bjohanson1234 .........

Ok so now that the health care bill passed the senate, they need to hammer out a few things between the house version and the senate version. The few things that I dont like about it are
    1) Mandating all americans to buy health insurance. I dont think an american citizen should be forced to buy anything. One of the bill supporters liked it to mandating car insurance. The big differance I see is that you have a choice to buy a car or not. You buy a car, you buy insurance. You dont buy a car, you dont buy insurance

2) Taxing "Cadillac" health care. Not sure of the details but I understand this as being if your employer covers your helath insurance, you will be taxed on it like it is income. That is going to hurt alot of Americans that already have health insurance.

A few things I like.

1) Lowering medical costs
    2) Sounds like it is self funded from what I have read which is a good thing

bjohanson1234, Dec 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. bjohanson1234

dcantucson

As much as I think we need it and we need it soon, I believe more time should have been taken to get this thing right. I guess it's a start.

dcantucson, Dec 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. bjohanson1234

Bifferwine I am a girl

I agree with Dcan -- I do believe we needed health care reform. I'm not quite sure that NOW was the time to do it though, with all the other economic problems going on. Obama says that the current system wastes so much money that it needed to be done now, and I can see his point. I just think the idea would have been more palatable to more Americans had it been on the agenda later on down the road.

As for Point #2, I don't believe that an employees' contribution to health care will be taxed. During the presidential election, that was McCain's plan, and Obama was very vocal about being against it. I have not heard that this health care bill contains that provision, and would be very surprised if it did, since most Democrats were very much against it.

As for #1, I can see your point about that one. It is kind of unsettling. But, anyone that works is "mandated" to buy into social security and pay taxes too -- it's automatically taken out of your paycheck. So yes, there are some things that all of us have to "buy" whether we want to or not. The good thing is that for people that don't make a lot, this mandatory buy-in will be subsidized, so it won't cost them anything (or very little).

The flip side is, for people that have families that don't have insurance, I think they will be pretty happy that now there is an affordable option that will protect their kids. Making it mandatory makes it accessible to everyone -- including those people who, up until now, may have wanted insurance but couldn't afford it.

Bifferwine, Dec 24, 2009
  4. bjohanson1234

sen5241b

1+

I've really been looking out for number ONE with this issue. If I lose my job I want to know that I can see a doctor. In the past, when I was unemployed or between jobs I had to tell my family 'wait on any health related issues.'

sen5241b, Dec 24, 2009
  5. bjohanson1234

bjohanson1234 .........

This is a quote from the article.
    Senate Passes Sweeping Health Care Reform, but Trouble Lies Ahead -- Politics Daily

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) told C-SPAN the "Cadillac" tax would have to be a part of any final package she votes for.

The problem is they dont really say what Cadillac tax means. I currently dont pay for my health care. It is all paid for by my contractor. Through the contract that I have. If it is what I am inturpreting it as, this Cadillac tax would have me paying more in taxes because they add that to your income? I dont know and nothing I have read has explained it very well.

But the fact that this bill is pretty much cast straight down party lines is very disturbing to me. It shows no sign of cooperation on either side to try to get the best it could be for all people. Which just makes me beleive that it is all partisan politics going on. It reaks of school yard kids crying "Im taking my ball and going home"

6. bjohanson1234

Sharkie The Damsel Defender

i for one am not for the health care package at all... its basically the same thing they've got going on in the UK and their "free health care" is horrible. they put you on a list and half the time you don't even get treated/what you need because they put you on a list of thousands of people even if you need help right then and there....

I don't want to have to be forced into buying healthcare, it'll end up costing ME more in the long run, currently my job pays for all my meds and all my treatments... if i have to start paying more into that i'll be broke with what i have to work off of.... :l

sure some healthcare stuff was needed, but not like this.

Sharkie, Dec 24, 2009
  7. bjohanson1234

d.french

i don't see anything wrong with people being forced to buy health insurance if company offers it cause that one of reasons cost are high because the people who don't buy insurance that work full time get sick or hurt and run up hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospitals and don't have insurance to pay for it.

I'm hard on subject i also think since i have to take drug test for my job that anyone on public aid getting food stamps or any financial aid should have to take drug test to qualify, that would help save alot of tax dollars.

d.french, Dec 24, 2009
  8. bjohanson1234

d.french

one car crash and one month in hospital will cost more in one month than what it will cost you in 20 years paying your monthly insurance cost if you stay healthy and don't have to use it.

d.french, Dec 24, 2009
  9. bjohanson1234

d.french

not sure about other states but health insurance is high and medical bills are high around St. louis area, big industrial area high risk jobs and lots of medical lawsuits around here ruin are cost on heathcare and prices of insurance i know people who pay anywhere from 200 to 400 a month for health insurance through employer

d.french, Dec 24, 2009
  10. bjohanson1234

bjohanson1234 .........

I know what you mean french. There was a news article a few months ago, cant remember the paper either the Chicago Tribune or the SUn times, that said health costs drop significantly 30 miles from the Chicago city limits? Why such the disparity? I dont know. True something was needed but I am not 100 percent sure that what they passed is what was needed. Mainly because there isnt much actual news coming out about what the details are. Pretty much the news stories I have seen and read are just saying a health care bill has passed the senate, given a few buzz words like "Cadillac" tax and then left it at that. Explain what the tax is, explain how you qualify, explain how it works. And let the people understand it so we can make an educated desicion.

200-400 dollars a month is cheap health care!!! I have known familys paying twice that much!!

I know I am one of the lucky ones that doesnt pay for health care but I really am worried about taxes on that benefit. I am just not sure if that is what they are talking about here.

11. bjohanson1234

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I'm sure some of y'all will remember a few weeks when I canceled my health insurance.
    IF their gonna force working people to carry insurance,then the insurance companies need to regulated.They shouldn't be able to tell me that my daughter cant get a certain med that her doctor thinks she needs.Or that that they're not going to cover this procedure that the doctor thinks she needs.Or hike the price by 50% every year.

I can tell you this.If it comes to paying for insurance or putting food on the table for my family.My family aint going hungry.Goverment and Obama be damned.

yote, Dec 24, 2009
  12. bjohanson1234

d.french

i'm sure once this all passes through congress and makes it through it will benefit government and screw us some how or another.

BJ its crazy how insurance can differ so drastically from one place in illinois to another i'm right across river from st. louis in madison county we have the dirtiest air and more cancer cases than whole united states do to steel mills, oil refineries lots of big industrial areas, i work in mill that makes brass and copper. We also have highest number of medical malpractice cases which has driven all good doctors out of our area so its life or death matter if you get treated in madison county hospitals or go across river 15 minutes away to st. louis to 2 of the top ten hospitals in country.

d.french, Dec 24, 2009
  13. bjohanson1234

d.french

agree, if we all have to buy it should be same price for everyone and no one should be declined a medicine that they need.

d.french, Dec 24, 2009
  14. bjohanson1234

XxKnuckleheadxX

its gonna be like a damn soup kitchen. lines out the doors to see doctors. doctors are gonna be so busy they are gonna miss diagnose people and just send them on there way with meds or a shot real fast because they cannot keep up with the people. its gonna be bad i think!!!

XxKnuckleheadxX, Dec 24, 2009
  15. bjohanson1234

d.french

it takes me 2 weeks to see my doctor and they try to shove you out the door as soon as you walk in, and i got great insurance were i work, docs just move as many patience in as quick as they can to make some money here.

d.french, Dec 24, 2009
  16. bjohanson1234

bjohanson1234 .........

My old job, good thing I was single, would have been 250 bucks a month just to add a wife!!! Like 400 for 2 kids and I think like 50-100 bucks more for each additional kid!!! That was after the company paid half the premeium!!!

17. bjohanson1234

d.french

wow now i understand why some don't carry it i thought we had it bad here. it would be cheaper to pay the fine once a year for not carrying insurance government gonna get paid no matter what.

d.french, Dec 24, 2009
  18. bjohanson1234

thats exactly the problem in the UK with their health care... they keep telling us to NOT follow them because of the lack of care they now have... no one will become a doctor because they won't get paid the big bucks and you'll have more sick people running around... thats really why i don't support it. my aunt lives in the UK and they are treated horrible over there by doctors... I've had my fair share of our doctors here and even if they are sorta grumpy and cost me my life savings I'd rather have to do that because they actually have the knowledge to fix me, sure it took them about a year with all the test they had to run and i've gotten quite a large medical bill, but they found the problem and we're taking care of it... My aunts son however needs a kidney and hes on a list of about 5000 other people who need kidneys in his area, hes been on that list for YEARS and hes at the point that they don't think hes going to make it. thats why this whole health care thing is bad...

and like yote said, we shouldn't be required to buy into it. people still drive around without car insurance and our government in ca doesn't do crap about it. we've been hit by 4 people this last SUMMER alone by those types of people and have our cars smashed to hell because if we report it to the insurance it raises our bill and the other people get away scotch free. i dunno, I for one won't be forced to buy into something I don't support. To be perfectly honest I don't support, nor will I ever support our current president. hes all talk and stupid action, and what the heck was with that peace price? why the hell did he deserve that when he didn't even DO anything?!
    :frustrat:politics are a touchy subject, its best if i stay outta it lol... I get on my high horse and cause lots of debates....

one last thing, where the hell is he gonna get 891 BILLION dollars to do this?! as if we aren't in enough debt as it is....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    Sharkie, Dec 24, 2009
  19. bjohanson1234

coolhandgoose

So obviously there was a problem with the system if when they finally open it up to everyone there will be lines out the door. Does that mean they shouldn't do anything and keep it the way it was? Or quite the opposite, this is what has been sorely lacking and now people can get the help they need. It's a fundamental right of every human being to receive proper healthcare, and it shouldn't bankrupt your family because of it.

Like they say, the states is a great place to live as long as you don't retire and never get sick.

coolhandgoose, Dec 24, 2009
  20. bjohanson1234

sure its a right of human beings but its GOING to bankrupt people either way, i'd rather have it the expensive way personally... its just not what needs to happen right now, we owe other countries money and obama was supposed to create jobs for people... lets work on paying them back first and actually creating jobs instead of making more of us lose them. so far all of the recent plans have been huge failures...

it may be a right, but its also not cared about in other countries who already have this type of government health care package, they are on a list and wether you're dying or very near death you have to wait on that list.... most seniors over there are dead/dying because they are denied the right to see a doctor right away even if they have tons of money to spend on it.

Sharkie, Dec 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question