Heat generation and lighting choice

mikro402

Reefing newb
I have been reading alot about T5 and MH lighting. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how much heat will be generated between the different choices. I definitely want to have either T5HO or MH.
So is heat much higher with MH than T5 or are they close?
(I am trying to avoid buying a chiller. )
How about bulb life and power usage?

I have a 75 gal. 48 X 18D X 20H tank.
The tank is in the basement so it stays around 72 year round.
I have been looking at the AquaticLife 6 X 54W Lamp T5HO, and the Current USA Outer
Orbit 2x250W 10,000K HQI with 4 X 54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights

TIA

Most people dont have to buy chillers even if they have MH. Unless the are right up on the water (which they shouldnt be) i think you will be fine.

Plus if it does get hot, just put a clip fan blowing on your tank. That usually cools people's tank plenty.

You won't need to buy a chiller...I've never actually seen a chiller in real life...so they're not that common. You can easily control the heat ( if needed) by small fan blowing on the water surface...I use MH they do get very hot, but IMO they're the best looking lights. They give the water a very natural shimmering look.

You'll easily be able to control the heat...not a big deal.

BTW I just ran across an Outer Orbit light at a local reefers house.....It looked awesome.

Chillers are pretty rare in this hobby. You will be fine with either MH or T5. Both types of lighting generate heat -- but heat from MH is emitted from a point, whereas the heat from T5 is spread out along the length of the bulb. If you go with T5, you will want at least 6 bulbs.

Ah it sounds like the OP is in the same dilemma that Im in, which is how to keep the temps down in the aquarium. Do you live in the southwest like I do?

And I was at a LFS today and asked one of the employees this very question. He said MH produces the most heat, T5s produce less and LEDs almost none however they are very expensive.

Back