Heater killed EVERYTHING in my 10gal :((((

I am so sorry to hear this story. Glad you didn't go blow up Marine land's HQ :mrgreen:

I prefer the titanium heaters that have all the temp controlling electronics out of the water. I don't like the glass or plastic all in one type that submerse in the water. IMO, they are more prone to failure since water can more easily leak in and cause havoc on the electrical parts.

I'm so sorry! That's so discouraging :(
I had the recalled heater too, petsmart sent me a postcard about a year ago telling me about it and I brought the heater and postcard in and they gave me a gift card for like $25.
Good luck with your claim, let us know how it goes....

I used my petsmart perks card (or whatever they used it) and I get all their coupons/mailings/happy birthday to your dog, crap in the mail. I assumed they tracked my heater purchase thru the perks card and I'm on their mailing list. I hate being on mailing lists but it worked out for once.
Maybe that's the difference here? The whole thing sucks for you though and I feel awful. I hope your tank comes back better than ever!

from a Heat Crash to Heat Crash I feel your pain its a long hard road but you can do it i know you can you have your 92g so yeah its not as bad as it could be so the 10g cooked. it is vary sad I cried for days with my losses. but now I'm back on track almost a year later. with all the ups and downs just keep moving forward and your do just fine with rebuilding that 10g ;) its not a race i to this to another friend on here yesterday. So do keep that in mine we take hits with our reef sometimes more or bigger hits than others all we can do is take it with that grain if not bag of salt and learn from it. well here's to new beginnings. Oh yes for the heat crash i know you said you used water from your 92g but please dont take this lightly after my crash I got a hair algae and red slime plague so keep your eyes piled

@zyber goby will do! I have decided to go with black sand this time around since I'm starting over. I wanted to do that the first time I set it up, but because I was doing the budget friendly way (just moving LR, sand, filters, etc. from my 55gal), I just used the sand I had. Plus, I was trying to cut cycle time down. But now since I have to do a full cycle anyway might as well get the sand I wanted :). Thanks for all the encouragement!

I suggest that with the new heater you have a couple or several small wattageheaters instead of a single large one. This is so that if one of them malfunctions, a) theothers wont turn on and b) since it's smaller it will take way longer to make a problem and you have a good chance of catching it before it gets terminal.

I suggest that with the new heater you have a couple or several small wattageheaters instead of a single large one. This is so that if one of them malfunctions, a) theothers wont turn on and b) since it's smaller it will take way longer to make a problem and you have a good chance of catching it before it gets terminal.

I agree on large tanks but its hard to do on a small 10g.

Probably don't even need a heater here in Florida. Shouldn't have had one in my tank because it's not cold here and when it is I have the heat on, which is rare :/

I dont run a heater during the summer and I know several people who live in the hot states also dont use it. I would try running without one and see how it goes.

I use titanium heaters. They tend to be better. This thread makes me want to get a new heater. Mine is already 2 years old.

Ok, so today I replaced the 10gal with my son's old 20gal long. I put 20# of black sand in it, water, & now the cycle begins. The reason I decided to go slightly bigger is because I feel like if the tank was this size when the heater went kaput, I may have had a chance of saving something (maybe not, but still a possibility). Just want a lil bit more wiggle room. Plus, now the 10gal is my new QT tank :). So far the black sand looks amazing, and once it clears, I'll move my LR back into it and start scaping!

P. S. No more heaters for now... I shouldn't have had one in there in the first place considering my house is always 78 degrees.

I wish they had something so I could upload straight from my phone cuz I'd upload pics all the time! But unfortunately I have to upload them to my computer then upload them to here :/. Ahh, the life of a lazy American! Lol. I'll get to it tho :)

Back