Heater suggestions

Reefrookie

Not so new anymore!
I am thinking of replacing my heaters. I currently run two Stealth 250 watts in my sump. While doing maintenance this week I noticed they were getting small bubble blisters on the sides of the tube. Time to replace them. What type heaters do you guys run? I would like to stick with the submersible style and keep them in the sump

I have a Stealth and a Visi-Therm. I don't really like the Stealth because you can't tell when it's on. Both are cranked up to about 90, but they are hooked up to my Ranco controller. I don't trust the built-in thermostat on any heater.

That's why I didn't like the Stealth either Larry. The new StealthPro heater has a lit knob on it when it's calling for heat (red/green). I was thinking 2 of those with a Ranco

Stealth 150w in the sump of the frag tank. Stealth 100w in the HOB fuge of the 30g display.

Haven't had a problem with them so far. The one in the display is over 2.5yrs old. Still works fine. The heater in the sump of the frag tank is still sorta newish so I don't expect any trouble out of it.

My 90 gallon tank never drops below 78 or 79. I think the return pump and skimmer pump take care of all the water heating... I guess for other people that could be a bad thing, but they keep my tank and just the right temperature.

My 10 gallon has a little heater in it, but I never see it come on.

Also, it's weird because both tanks are in rooms that don't have any heat (they were part of an addition that was put onto the house at some point). I was really worried about that at first, but the rest of the house being warm, plus all the tank equipment seems to keep those rooms comfortable.

I have the titanium heater aqua temp, I love it, best, most stable heater I ever used in over 20 years with fish tanks. Nice remote temp. control, love it!

That's why I didn't like the Stealth either Larry. The new StealthPro heater has a lit knob on it when it's calling for heat (red/green). I was thinking 2 of those with a Ranco
I really like the Ranco. I got the 2 stage so it controls my heaters and fans in the canopy and over my sump.
You might want to look into a Reefkeeper Lite controller. It's basically the same price as a Ranco 2 stage but has alot more options. I thought about getting 1 when I got the Ranco, but in my situation with my sump in the basement, the Ranco worked out better.

Just a quick update on this thread:

I wound up getting 2-250 watt StealthPRO heaters today to replace my ageing and blistering Stealth's that I now have.They new PRO has a LED in the control knob that tells you when its on (red), and when it is not on (green). It's also thicker and better built than the old one. I also went with a Ranco controller for the heaters.

I called Marineland customer service a few days ago to find out how much of the heater top can stick out above the water line and still operate correctly. My heaters are in my return section of my sump and have to be on an angle to fit. The tops stick out about 1 inch above the water. She told me that heaters should never be in the sump, and will not work properly. I never heard any thing so stupid in my life. Has any one else ever heard this?

No, she's stupid. Of course they'll work in the sump. They're submerged in water there, same as they would be in the display tank. Why wouldn't they work? That's kinda the main point of having a sump -- to be able to get all your equipment out of the display.

I got one of the new fluval E series heater. They cost about 50 bucks, but it has a temp read out and changes colors when your tank is warmer than what you set or colder. It also has a nice casing around the heater itself.

Back