Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
Well...I'm Jasmine!

A little about me: I'm short, sweet, mean and to the point. I own a photography business. I have 2 Siberian Huskies, Duramax Maximus and Diesel Denali, a kitty named Turbo, a husband named Axel...

I've always had a passion for Aquariums. I've had 10g, 30gs, and 55gs. I grew up with Freshwater Tanks... I've had Tiger Oscars that were HUGE, my biggest one measuring about 1 ft long.

Now, my husband let me start a Saltwater Tank, and I'm so EXCITED!

So, we did all the salt, tests, let it go for a month...everything is reading as it's supposed to. 0 Nitrates, 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia, 8.2 pH, the correct Salinity, temp is 82 F, etc. We have 30 lbs of Live rock right now and 2 Domino Damsels that we picked up a couple nights ago from our LFS (which rocks, BTW!) and we have the 405 Fluval Cannister Filter, and I'll soon be getting a protein skimmer.

So my question is... I don't really wanna do HUGE fish, but I'd like to do a bunch of little guys that get about 3-5 inches long at maturity. I'd also like to do coral and inverts... so where should I begin now that we have 2 of those Domino Damsels?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being part of this community, you guys all seem so great!

Welcome to the forum. I hate to say this, but those Domino Damselfish are some of the meanest fish one can have. I'd take them and trade them for more peaceful inhabitants.

welcome!!! whats up with this powerstroke action with a duramax and a denali! ;-) welcome to the forum! youll find your answers here!

Welcome to the forum. I hate to say this, but those Domino Damselfish are some of the meanest fish one can have. I'd take them and trade them for more peaceful inhabitants.

I dunno, actually. The Owner of the store said that they'd be good beginner fish for me, and as long as I added something in the tank in a few days or a week or so, they'd be fine. He said they were just territorial.

welcome!!! whats up with this powerstroke action with a duramax and a denali! ;-) welcome to the forum! youll find your answers here!

LOL! I get asked that all the time! I had my first Husky before I met my husband and my Dad named him.

Duramax trucks are too darn expensive! I bought my Ford, which is a 2000, for 12k with 130k miles on it... I was looking at Duramaxs with 250k on them and they wanted 15-18k for them! My husband drives a 1983 Custom Delux with a 454 in it on a 10 inch lift with 40" Swampers... LOL! (And no, we're not rednecks!)

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the site! Remember a LFS is trying to make money so take what they say with a grain of salt. The people on here give advice for free and have years of experience so ask tons of questions

Welcome to the site! Remember a LFS is trying to make money so take what they say with a grain of salt. The people on here give advice for free and have years of experience so ask tons of questions

Don't forget though.. with our advice.. you get what you pay for ...

Well, thanks!

I dunno, the fish were only $5.00. I'm not gonna pay more for something that might die while I figure everything out. I would think he'd try to sell me something more expensive if he was really trying to make money. That's my opinion... So...we'll find out what happens, eventually! LOL

When could I start doing coral? Or should I add more live rock first.. I know I need aprox. 1 lb for ever 1 gallon of water.

they are absolutely right those fis h are evil.. and a word of caution sometimes lfs owners will stretch the tr uthor are ill iinformed... but allll sounds great other than that

I am sure you have a good retail store and they offer sound advice. Some on here have a real resentment to stores.. so take everything you hear on here as just an opinion.

You mentioned only part of your setup. What do you have for lighting? That is probably the biggest key for healthy corals...

I'm thinking more like a whole vehicular theme. She also has a set of twins named, Camshaft, and Crankshaft :mrgreen:

J/K, welcome to the forum. Unload them Dominoes, get a few green chromis to start.

Hello and welcome! Like Adrastos said, whether or not you keep corals will be dependent on the type of light you have. Also figure, in a 55 gallon tank, you will be limited to 5 to 7 small fish (the rule of thumb in saltwater is 1 fish per 10 gallons).

I am sure you have a good retail store and they offer sound advice. Some on here have a real resentment to stores.. so take everything you hear on here as just an opinion.

You mentioned only part of your setup. What do you have for lighting? That is probably the biggest key for healthy corals...

I went to a Family Owned place, ran by a husband, wife, and son...they've been in business for 40 years.

I'm taking everything people have to say to heart, I'm new...what do I know?

And for lighting, right now, it's just normal tank lighting, but I have a T5 kit on order with a Moonlight with it.

I'm thinking more like a whole vehicular theme. She also has a set of twins named, Camshaft, and Crankshaft :mrgreen:

J/K, welcome to the forum. Unload them Dominoes, get a few green chromis to start.

LOL! We get teased all the time... But my husband's name was picked out of a name book... and my first puppy was named a couple years ago when oil prices were so high... My husband wanted to name our cat Hooker....after Hooker Headers... or like Allison for Allison transmissions or Dana after axles...

As for our kids, they'll have normal names. I hope. :shock:

Back