HEELLPP!! Jumped in head first!

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. As you can already see, we love answering questions and helping each other out, but the only thing we love more than that is...PICS. :)

165671_694294441455_24416836_37662933_4279497_n.jpg

Here is a picture that he sent me of my new tank that I pick up next weekend.

here are ALL of the details I know about what I am getting, exactly coppied as he has written:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
110 Gallon Tank with extra thick glass 1/2 thick glass- Wood Stand/Tank/Canopy Dimensions for tank: 60 L, 29 H, 18 w

Dimensions with stand and canopy: 60 L, 18 W, 61 1/2 H – retail $1000

800 + pounds of cured live rock- we’ve paid at least $1000 in live rock. Light, four bulbs- two blue, two white, -new we paid $400

Built in 20 gallon sump pump underneath tank.- retail $300 (lighting underneath with sump)

2 Aquarium fasco – 60 Hz pump- retail $500 each
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can you tell me about this? Is there any hardware that is not being included that I will have to buy?

Thank everyone!

That is definitely not 800 pounds, and definitely not $1000 worth of live rock. And if they did pay $1000 for it then they got ripped off big time!

They lied. That's about 80 lbs of live rock. Not even close to 800 lbs. No way could you fit 800 lbs of live rock in that tank. Hahahaha.

I think they are also exaggerating the price of those pumps. They are not $500 apiece.

The tank and stand does not retail for anywhere near $1000...

The lights will need to be upgraded to keep corals. Those lights did not cost $400.

The fact that it comes with a sump is a very big plus! That's a good thing.

I have to say, these people seem to be very dishonest about the pricing. How much are you paying for this setup???

I'm not paying $0.01 for it, hahaha. it's being thrown in as part of a trade.
What is it worth??? I'm hoping it is worth $550.00

What additional equipment do I need???

Last edited:
Well it's good you're not paying for it!! It's a nice setup but not worth as much as they say it is! :)

You will need a refractometer to measure salinity (about $40 online).
You will need some basic test kits to test the water: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and alkalinity.
You will need a couple heaters (it doesn't look like they are included).
You will need about 6 powerheads (it doesn't look like those are included either).

I am very glad to hear all of this. Y'all are a tremendous help.

What are power heads? Like, power strips? If so, that is easy.
How much am I going to be paying for this heater?
Am I going to run into a problem with the lights if I do end up wanting to put fish or animals in it?

Awesome, thanks. I am going to take a wild guess, and say that "gph" stands for, gallons per hour.
How many gallons per hour do I need in my power head?

For your tank total, you want at least 10 to 50 times turnover. So for a 125 gallon tank, at least 1250 gallons per hour. I would divide that up between 4 to 6 powerheads, so you can get flow all over the tank. So like 4 to 6 of the MaxiJet 1200s that I linked to earlier. Or their equivalent of the Koralias that Brian linked to.

Well, wait and see what it includes... If they tried to keep anything but rock alive in that tank, they would have had to have a heater and some powerheads for water movement.

I shot him an email last night asking whether or not he would include heaters and powerheads. I got this in reply,

168897_694340723705_24416836_37664027_7282384_n.jpg

What say you, LivingReefs?

Saltwater tanks ideally should be kept at 78 to 80 degrees. If that is what you consider room temperature, then good luck!! :lol:

One return pump is not enough flow for a tank that size. It is good that he is offering to throw them in for you!!

Every tank needs a heater. Go check out any online fish store and most of them will tell you the recommendations for a specific fish, i.e Temp, Salinity, Tank mates, So make sure you really get that heater. In some parts of the country room temperature could be 65 :shock: Or like in Biffs case 110 degrees:mrgreen:

Back