Hello again and tank update

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
I have not been on in awhile. Now that things are somewhat settling down I thought I would give an update on our tank and say hi. I have been sick between my asthma and my thyroid so very tired.

Our 40 breeder is doing well. All our parameters are doing fine. We have slowly added a few fish. We now have a yellow watchman. a pair of black and white ocellaris clowns, a small scooter blenny and a purple dottyback. All seem to be doing well together. The dottyback was the last one added and there have been a few little chases between the dottyback and the scooter. I think they were both after something one the same rock.

I do need to work on my CUC, but am tired of getting snails and them dying. I haven't had good luck with margaritas. I had read somewhere that they really need cooler water than what a reef tank has. So the last snails I got were ceriths and a top crown. I still have a few turbos. I love the top crown. The ceriths seem to survive at a 50% ratio. I have 4 nassarius (2 small, 2 tongas). No hermit crabs. They kept killing off my snails even though they had plenty of shells available. Suggestions?

Angie

That is just the nature of some hermit crabs, they are born snail killers. Not a whole lot you can do about it if you already have spare shells for them

I have gotten pretty frustrated with snails too. It seemed like a good idea at the time to get some hermits but now the only luck I have with snails is the nassarius. I made sure they had plenty of shells too, they just seem to want the ones that are already occupied.

Back