Hello All (Advice needed)

robeterl

Reefing newb
I am a newbie to the hobby (1 month).

In this time period I have had some surprising success after trying to rush the tank.

I have a 40gal breeder with about 20lbs of live rock, 1inch live sand, 7 hermit crabs, and 4 snails. I also brought 2 fish (green chromis and siccortail damsel and I am pretty sure too soon). The chromis did not survive the weekend however the siccortail has been going strong for about two weeks. My question is when would be the best time to try to ass more fish to my tank?

Welcome!

First off you are going to need some more live rock in your tank - its recommended to have 1-2lbs per gallon - so your tank needs at least 40-80lbs of live rock. Second, damsels can be really mean fish, and I'm guessing your damsel may have killed the chromis. Have you thought about the other types of fish you want to add to your tank? If they are peaceful fish, then you'll probably want to consider returning the damsel to the store, otherwise it will probably bully and kill new additions. Also, its generally a good idea to wait 3-4 weeks between each fish addition to give the bacteria enough time to reproduce enough to catch up with the added waste load from each fish. How long did you cycle your tank for and what are your parameters looking like now?

I would eventually like to add 2 clownfish, 1 Royal Gamma, 3 Pajama Cardinal, and 1 lemon peel angel. I will definitely add more live rock, I was just doing it little by little. I had cycled the about a week before I added the fish (which is why I think he died just not sure) and it has been cycling about 3 weeks total. My water levels now are 8.2pH, 0.25ppm ammonia, 0 ppm NO2, and 5 ppm NO3 after a 20% water change 5 days ago.

At this point, I think I'd return the damsel and let your tank finish cycling before you add a fish. With the ammonia present in your system, it hasn't finished cycling. I know a lot of LFSs recommend cycling with fish. Unfortunately that is kind of an old-school method that ends up being cruel for the fish (ammonia burns their gills and if they make it through the process it significantly reduces their lifespan). Many of us now use a piece of uncooked shrimp or fish food to get the cycle started. Your cycle is under way and you don't need to worry about adding anything, but I do think it would be better for the damsel to take it back to the store. Wait until you see the nitrite spike and return to 0, and ammonia reach 0, then do a 50% water change and then add fish.

Your list is a decent list, but a few too many fish for a 40g at least in the first year. I'd try to stick closer to 5 fish total - so maybe just do 1 cardinal instead of 3 and that way you don't have to remove anything. Clownfish are great first additions, and you can add 2 simultaneously, then I'd add the cardinal, then the gramma, and finally the angel (which will be far more aggressive than the others). If at some point down the road you want to add a damsel once your tank really matures, then you can add the damsel after the lemonpeel and it will be fine. Generally best to add in the order of most peaceful to most aggressive! Do you have a sump or protein skimmer for your tank?

Welcome aboard!
Fishy is right. You need to add some more rock to achieve the stability in your tank that you want. Especially if you want more than 4 fish.
The API ammonia test is notorious for showing false ammonia levels. Have this double checked by your LFS. You probably will want to return the damsel for aggression issues, however the damage to him from being in a cycling tank has already been done, unfortunately. Common mistake, and a lot of LFS actually recommend this method so they can sell you something.
One you are sure your tank is showing no traces of ammonia or nitrite, you can start adding fish slowly, like Fishy said. Also want to point out that some species of clowns are actually quite aggressive and should be toward the end of your stock list. I have a pair of Maroon Clowns that will be going into my cube last because they are quite the little devils!
Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions. LFS can often steer you wrong. It is good to research your new additions before letting them sell you something you are unsure of, and that's what we are here for! :)

Back