Hello All! New to the site, and to saltwater...

OK, yeah...I couldn't take it any longer...the more I sat on the coutch, the more I began to think about what I could be reading about! LOL!!!

Thank you all very much for the kind wishes. I got me a knee brace and it is helping alot!!

So I got online and started to read, and was re-reading some info on curing LR. I ran across something in the article, and I was just wondering if you all knew if this worked or not. I'll qoute directly from the article:

"Before (or after) curing your newly arrived live rock, you can submerse the new rock into a bucket filled with saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.040 for one minute. Any invertebrates including: mantis shrimp, bristle worms, and crabs, will quickly evacuate from the rock into the bucket of water. Bristle worms still attached to the rock can be removed with a pair of needle-nosed pliers or tweezers. After removing the live rock from the bucket, you can then sort through the invertebrates in the bucket that you will want to add to your system, and discard all of the unwanted pests."

Source: Live Rock and Live Sand Acclimation and Curing Guide

It makes sense to me, but I just wanted an opinion from someone with some experience!

Thank yall all again for such kind words!!!

Dont know Matthew I hadnt tryed that.But I will keep that in mind being as I have 45lbs of live rock expected to be here wednesday.
But also ,,I kinda like seeing what kind of hitch hikers I end up with.
So far I have gotten some kind of filter feeding crab,a long spine urchine,a polychate ( spelling?) worm that hasnt touched any thing but the one little spot of hair algae that I got,some thing that kinda looked like a madeusa worm(think it kicked the bucket) and all kinda of pods.
I like the hitch hikers as much as I do the fish and corals.

My coral guy recommends freshwater dipping of all corals - I don't see why it wouldn't be good for rocks as well.

I know you run the risk of getting something nasty in your tank.. but.. I always like to see whats on the rocks (and hidding in them) when I buy live rock (which I don't anymore).

Ya know Adrastos, I was actually wondering about that very same thing last night!!! That's wierd that you mentioned that...I was gonna ask if dipping the rock in some freshwater wouldn't have about the same effect...but, I thought to myself "NAAAA, that's a little on the hair-brained side...even for you Matthew!!!"

Glad to see that it isn't all that hair-brained after all!!!

I think it would be neat to see what all's actually in the rock too. But my thinking is that I would still get to see what all is in the rock and I'll also get the benefit of sorting through the hitch-hikers and picking and choosing what goes into my tank...

Whoa...that kinda sounds like something a control-freak would say doesn't it? I'm fixing to go talk to my therapist for awhile!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Do you do that with your corals though Adrastros? If so, how well does it work?

I haven't done it yet. I need to get some chemicals to clear up my citywater before I do it. I don't RO water for my tank.. but.. for the dipping.. I do need to clean it up a little.

From all I have heard it is a very good idea to freshwater dip your corals.. especially if you don't know what you are looking for. Even in the best systems, there can be parasites and other nasties on the corals that you don't know about. A dip even as short as a few seconds will make them fall off the corals. Some of the hardier corals can last a few minutes in the freshwater while some only 10 to 15 seconds.. make sure you speak with someone that knows what they are doing before you try it!

keep in mind Matt that some bristleworms are in fact beneficial to your aquarium only the red ones are bad the tan and pink are fine. They are excellant detrius cleaners just so your aware.

Yep, dipping the rock in freshwater will likely kill all the good stuff on it too, as well as the bad stuff. Whereas when you buy coral, you don't usually want ANY hitchhikers. But killing all the hitchhikers defeats the purpose of buying live rock in the first place.

Hello everyone!!! I hope that all yall are doin well!!!

I went to PetCo yesterday to browse around and kill some time and while talkin to an employee there I found out some interesting news...well for me it was, and I guess for anyone needing a new tank it'll be interesting too.

Around the beginning of March, all tanks from 10 - 75 gallons (I think) will be going on sale...supposedly the price will be $1.00 per galon. So you'll be payin $50.00 for a 50 gallon etc. I thought it was a pretty good deal, as long as the tanks are of good quality.

Hope this is helpful to somebody!!!

Yall take it easy out there!!!

HELLO ALL!!! I hope y'all are doing well!!! I've been doing good...just started an internship at a TV station as a camera operator, and I don't have as much time for computer usage as I used to have, but I am still adament about starting a saltwater tank!!! The sad part is that my tank probably won't be up and running for several months.

I have been continuing my research, even bought a book which has been a tremendous help and very informative!!! I have lately been trying to plan out everything, and I've gotten in to filters. I've found three filters and a couple of protein skimmers that have been of particular intrest to me.

I was wondering if any of you have ever used the following or if any of you know anything about them. I was also wondering which ones would be my best bet for 75 gal. FOWLR tank that would later be converted into a reef tank. I surely would appreciate the advice that I know yall are so capable of giving.

Here are the filter's and skimmer's and links to them:
Filters: Wet-Dry Aquarium Filters: Marineland Tidepool II BIO-Wheel Filtration Module
Aquarium Filtration: All-Glass Aquarium MegaFlow Sump Filter Wet/Dry Filter
Aquarium Inline Filters: Lifegard Aquarium Filter System

Skimmers:
Saltwater Marine Aquarium Water Quality & Filtration: Turboflotor Protein Skimmers
Berlin Turbo Protein Skimmers

Thanks in advance again for the help!!!!

All the filters and skimmers would work find.Have you thought about a refuge?I running a Tidepool 2 moved from my first setup.I been using it for 5 yrs.,just had to make some changes to prevent nitrate buildup.It works well for me.

Last edited:
I have put some thought into refuge...and that brings to mind another question that I've been wondering about. Should a refuge be placed before or after a filter system? I thought that it should be placed after the the filter system...but then again, I don't really have any idea...it was just an assumption.

Back