Hello All! New to the site, and to saltwater...

The refugium should go last, right before the water gets returned to the tank. If it goes before the filtration section than any pods you have will get sucked up and filtered out.

Well HOT DOG!!! My reasoning finally was on target for once!!! Thanks Sarah for the clarification and thanks to Reeffreak for the input!!!!

hello.. here from Puerto Rico....welcome to living reefs..ive learn a lot here..these guys rocks....is like all living in the same aquarium...hehehe..good luck..

I don't think I like the idea of swimming in the same water as Bobby! who knows what is floating around here - I don't think that was buffer that just touched my leg!!!!!!!

Well, it's exactly a week and one day till I go and buy my tank. Lately, Ive been reading and researching about all the stuff that I'll have to buy afterwards to actually get the tank up and running. But the question I have really doesn't pertain to that part of my journey. It really pertains after I have everything else bought.

I was wondering what you all think of Tonga Branch, Tonga Shelf/ridge, and Tonga Deepwater Live Rock. I'm having a really hard time trying to decide on what type of live rock I want, so I'm thinking about buying a box of each.

I really like the looks of Tonga rock, but I don't know anything about it, aside from where it's from. Have you all had any experiences with these types of rock, and would the aquascaping look natural if I combined all of these types, or would it look better with just one type of rock? I really want a truly natural look for the aquascaping...what would be the best route to take to get that look???

I dont know for sure,but I dont think the Tonga is as porous as the the other types of rock.
Now this is just my way of thinking,but to me the Tonga Branch looks more like petrified tree limbs than rock from a coral reef.
My personal choice is either Marshal Island which is more expensive(more than I can afford),Caribean,or Fiji (which is what I have).

Last edited:
Uaniva(a type of Tonga)is more porous and is light like Figi.All the rocks you mention make good choices.I have Uaniva and Tonga branch,the Uaniva to me is the most vibrant rock that I ever seen.Live rock is suggestive,everybody has their favorite.Good luck on whatever you choose.

ok well i just read this book of a post and first of i would have to say this is the best post i have ever read wait a go guys for all the help your giving and wait a go for all the resrerch matt but the first thing that i read was you was looking at acrylic tanks if you want a reef tank i would go with glass becuzz acrylic will get weak after a bit with a lot of light i have a 55gal with 13-14 wpg i would say more on the 14 side i run three vho's with 4 t-5 ac's4ft with a icecap bal you are off to the right start the people on this forum have a lot of yrs in this hobby so no matter how small a? just ask but uncured is good but the only plus to curd it the coralline and if you dont want to cyc i can shipp you watter oh and pm me i want to talk to you more on on one about acrylic vs glass

Last edited:
55king said:
ok well i just read this book of a post and first of i would have to say this is the best post i have ever read wait a go guys

King, I have to agree...these folks here have helped me more than I could have ever imagined....and Lord knows I surely appreciate it!!!! :bowdown:
I have no idea of how I'll ever be able to repay you all, but by all means, if y'all ever need a favor, I owe all of you probably at least about 200 a piece.

On a side note, if ya ever need any elevator parts, I can get them relatively easy!!! LOL.

I have no idea of how I'll ever be able to repay you all, but by all means, if y'all ever need a favor, I owe all of you probably at least about 200 a piece.

I NEED CORAL!!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lord-a-mercy, I'm broke as a joke.....but I can bake a mean cheesecake.....y'all like cheesecake? I wish I had some cheesecake right now.....yeah, I'm watchin Food Network.....

I can play a few tunes on the guitar......maybe y'all would like some song to go with your dance? What ya wanna hear????

Recently I ran across a stocking rate on Drs. Foster and Smith's site that seems outrageous compared to everything I've ever read or been told. They're recommending 1/2 inch of full grown fish per gallon of water. That means in a 75 gallon of tank I could keep 35 inches of fully grown fish.

Now, in the case I've been misunderstanding the stocking rates which I've been recommended in the past, this actually makes sense. That is if the 1 inch of fish per five gallon rule applies to the size of fish at the time of purchase. If this is true, then I suppose that the stocking rate, once the fish are fully grown, would equate out to about 35 inches of fish.

But somehow I just don't think that's correct. I think the stocking rate I've been reading about for so long applies to fully grown fish. And I sure rather be safe than sorry. Any thoughts?????

Also, if I were to keep copepods in a refuge, and let them reproduce, how would I keep them from getting chopped to bits in the pump on the way back to the tank???? And if the refuge was in line before the sump, wouldn't they just get caught in mechanical media anyway?

Last edited:
Back