Hello all

Viscount

Reefing newb
Hey guys, first off I'd like to say great forum, I've been looking at it for nearly a week now and I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Anyway, so my family and I have started a 40 gallon tank(no pictures yet, sorry :cry:) that has been running quite well for almost a month now. We've started it out with a mixture of substrate and live sand and then a few pieces of live rock. .Thanks to some bad advice from a LFS that we'll probably never deal with again, we've already added 2 damsels and 2 clowns. Thankfully the tank hasn't gone south yet and all our levels are fine. However, we were wondering if it was time to add a protein skimmer yet? And if so, what is one that you would suggest? Also we're running a Marineland 350 Bio-Wheel filter, is there anything else we've overlooked in the matters of filtration? All the retailers we've dealt with so far just seem interested in a quick sell, we just want to do this right.

Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions.

Yes, a protein skimmer is one of the most important parts of creating a successful tank. It seems as if the Corallife needle wheel skimmer are getting great reviews, along with Octopus.

I would ditch the filtration as far as any mechanical part goes (ie. sponge, etc.) Instead, use it to polish the water with carbon and maybe run some phosphate remover from time to time.

And as far as any other filtration method, you seemed to have hinted that you don't have nearly as much as 1 - 2lbs./gallon of live rock. You will greatly increase your biological filtration if you use that amount.

Thanks race, and you're completely right. I don't think we have near enough to cover that ratio, but i'm sure that will be our next move.

You should have had a protein skimmer before you added any animals, so definitely try to add one ASAP. If you want one that hangs on the back of the tank, the Aqua C Remora Pro is the way to go. Stay away from the Sea Clones.
And welcome to the site! I hope you'll like it here.

Welcome Viscount.
I recommend the Coralife SS for value and performance.The Aqua C and Octopus are other great skimmers but will cost a bit more than the Coralife.

Once you bump up the live rock then remove the bio-wheel part of the filter.Use a mess media bag for carbon and drop inside the filter.Live rock makes a much better biological filter than the wheels.The only thing those are good for is salt creep.

**remember,don't take out the wheels until you get at least 1-2lbs of live rock per gallon.**

Thanks guys, i will be adding more rock and a protein skimmer with all deliberate speed.

Another question if i may, i see that many of you are running sumps with refuge (correct terminology?), is that something i should consider for this tank? Or should i just stick with what i have?

I highly recommend a sump/fuge.Not only is it a great place to hide all the equipment,a refugium makes a nice sanctuary for copepods to breed and macro algae for nitrate export.

I would think about the sump as it gives you the most options for growth. In sump skimmers are inherently cheaper and less accident prone than stand alone or hang on skimmers, Just about any turbo type skimmer is a lot of bang for your buck. I personally like Aqua C and Turboflotor but a lot of good things are being said about newer turbo skimmers. All turbo skimmers are basically needle wheel/venturi skimmers. Little differences is engineering but big differences in materials and costs. I personally would not buy any skimmer but a turbo type or a Beckett type skimmer. Any price over $200-250 for a skimmer under about a 300 gallon tank capacity tank anymore your paying for name, just thicker materials and an easier cleaning system and cheap add ons like Johnny Quest fittings for ozone or calcium generators.

welcome to living reefs. like everyone has allready said, a sump isn't required to have a nice reef tank, but they do help. they add water volume that is displaced from all the live rock, give you a place to cultivate "pods" that become food for fish and corals, and is a good place to hide equipment. another plus of a sump is that you will not see the water level drop in the tank from evaporation. that will all take place in the sump.

Back