Hello all!

Ange

Reefing newb
My name is Ange, I just got my tank last week. I made one of those wonderful Craig's List purchases and came home with a 75 gallon tank, stank, and everthing. The tank was in use when I got there so we dismantled everything, loaded it in my car, and I came home and put it all back together. I also aquired an urchin, two shrimp, a sand sifter, a powder blue tang, a flame angel, a bi-color angel, a picasso trigger and two black and white clowns in the deal. I think I have a bajillion questions so I am VERY happy to find this site! So far everyone seems to be doing well in the new home. Plus I have noticed some new things growing and moving in the rock and sand. I plan to make this more of a reef than it is at the moment, so again, I will ask a bunch of questions!

welcome.

i would take that clown trigger to the LFS and trade it for something more sutiable for your 75 they get to big for a 75

Hi James! Thanks for the welcome. I actually have the Picasso Trigger and not the Clown Trigger. I like him, but wanting to move toward a reef tank instead of the marine I have may mean he has to go anyway. I did get an additional 30 gallon tank in the deal but I think that is too small for the Picasso.

Welcome to the site! We're glad to have you! If you didn't already get it in the deal, you'll be needing some testing supplies. What else did you get from CL?

Welcome to the site and the hobby Ange.
Ask away with those questions.The only thing want in return for answers,is pictures of the tank:D

Welcome and keep the questions coming. And the pictures not only do they help in determining problems we are easily amused. The pictures keep us occupied.

Thanks for the welcomes! I have the tank, stand, sump, heater, lights, testing stuff, food, basically everything the guy had including his fish. He had just decided he was tired of it and wanted it gone. And honestly, I think I got the better end of the deal. Quite possibly, I got a sinfully good deal. :D I don't think he had done much maintenance on the tank other than keeping the water replenished. I did a lot of cleaning prior to refilling, but there is still work to be done.

The was a lot of coraline algae in the tank and it looks nasty. I have heard leave it, I have heard get it off the tank walls and leave it on the live rock. Any input here would be great! I don't know how new his live rock and live sand were, but I have new things in the tank since I brought it home. I hope this is a good sign!

If the coralline was exposed to air, then it will turn white and die. So your problem is solved there!

You do want to encourage it to come back, though. Coralline algae will cover the rocks and make it more difficult for nuisance algae to establish itself. It will also give the tank a nice purple color.

There are plenty of other types of algae that you will have to deal with, you should embrace one of the few good ones!!

Yeah, you will want to clean the sides and front so you can see in! You should get a magnet cleaner, like a MagFloat. You can also buy a razor blade attachment for it to scrape off hard stuff.

Hello and welcome. They've got you covered on the coraline. The trigger won't do in that 30g, and really needs a bigger tank than the 75 and as you have already acknowledged is really reef safe, so I'd start looking for a new home for him. Otherwise, it sounds like you are off to a good start. Congrats on your new tank!

Woo hoo! I have already done something right! I have cleaned all of it off the front, and most of the sides. It was driving me nuts. I got a magnet cleaner with the tank and bought a razor scraper when I had to go get more salt. I have had freshwater tanks before, but this is my first foray into saltwater. The evaporation has been interesting. I got four test sets for the water, the nitrates, nitrites, pH and ammonia. So far everything has tested fine. Even the water I made to finish filling the tank was OK. We have a well, but there is a filter on the line at the pump outside. My water temp is holding steady too. I can't wait to figure out what these new things are that are showing up now!

Did you get a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter with your package? Even though you have a "filter" on your well water, you'll want to test the water you are putting in your tank. An RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/Deionized) water purifier system is the best investment for your tank!! Well water can contain many heavy metals and other tank toxins that can harm your animals and give you algae NIGHTMARES! If you cannot afford the unit now, you can also purchase RO/DI water at your local fish store, or sometimes at your local Walmart or supermarket. Just read the labels and make sure it says "prepared by reverse osmosis" or something similar. Water quality is an absolute essential part of a healthy and happy tank.

Believe it or not, I got a RO/DI too. And I need to know how to use it. I can post a pic of it. The meter I did not get.

You will want to make sure that you are topping off for the evaporated water using fresh, not salt water. When saltwater evaporates, it leaves the salt behind, so you will want to replace the evaporated water with fresh.

Back