Hello all!

Just FYI though salt doesn't evaporate, but it does get removed as we empty our skimmer cups and then refill with RODI. Over time the salt content will drop so you need to periodically check your salt level in your tank and make sure that it's staying at 1.025-6.

I check the salinity of my tank every time I do a water change. That way if it needs a little tweaking, I can adjust the new water as needed.

Gotcha, I will make sure to do that. It seems that a lot of the coraline on the back turned white in the move, but a lot on the sides did not. I cleaned the back and left some of what is on the sides until I get new growth on the back. Hope this sounds right!

I check the salinity of my tank every time I do a water change.

So once every six months then?I kid,I kid,please don't beat me Mistress Bifferwine!
whip.gif

Welcome to yhe site,btw!

So once every six months then?I kid,I kid,please don't beat me Mistress Bifferwine!
whip.gif

Since I've had this new tank, I've been much better! I do a 10% water change on both of my tanks once a week or every other week, depending on how busy I am. Believe it or not, nitrates have always been at 0 since I set both of these tanks up!

Yote, that would probably be the one thing I did NOT get with my set up. I see a shopping trip in my very near future!

I noticed last night that I have some little arms, if you will, creeping out of my rock crevices when I feed the urchin and shrimp. They catch the Mysis shrimp and pull them back into the crevices. They look grey and black striped, best I can tell. Any idea what those might be? Right now they are maybe a little less than an inch long, but I believe I found a larger one this afternoon.

Since I've had this new tank, I've been much better! I do a 10% water change on both of my tanks once a week or every other week, depending on how busy I am. Believe it or not, nitrates have always been at 0 since I set both of these tanks up!
Even though those test kits have only been used two or three times Biff, you know they have an expiration........:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Does anyone use a timer for their tank lights? I am home right now and turn my lights on around 1 or 2 and leave them on until about 10. But when I go back to work, (gotta love waiting on contracts to be finalized) there won't be anyone here during the day to turn them on.

And the lights are a whole other story. I know I need actinic lights for a reef, are there bulbs that will possibly fit into what I have now? What I have now says Current on the ends and is about 4 feet long.

Most of us do use timers.You can pick some up a Walmart on the cheap.

How many bulbs and how many cords on the fixture?Sure,you buy actinic bulbs to replace one or more of the daylight bulbs.

There are four bulbs and two switches/cords on the fixture. Right now, one set of bulbs is not working. Not sure what the problem is, but I am checking that out. I don't know if the problem is with the ballast itself or if the guy I bought it from just left the burned out bulbs in place.

There are four bulbs and two switches/cords on the fixture. Right now, one set of bulbs is not working. Not sure what the problem is, but I am checking that out. I don't know if the problem is with the ballast itself or if the guy I bought it from just left the burned out bulbs in place.
Swap bulbs from one fixture to the other to find out if its bulbs or ballast that isnt working. I'd recommend using a timer. It's best for your tank to have consistency.

I will definitely get the timer. There are a couple of loose wires in the ballast, so I think that the issue may be there. I am going to pull it down and get it apart in the morning when I have the light off and take a look at it. Had to go into DC for the project today, so they haven't been on long and I don't want to turn them back off again just yet.

It is the ballast. And while I am one handy dandy chick, I don't do electricity, been zapped by a 220, that was enough for me. I really want that other ballast to work, I have actinic bulbs in it. And I want corals! Might be time to go shopping.

Back