Hello All

charlesp123

charlesp123
I finally have my 30 gallon breeder tank set up with 40 pounds of Caribsea Arag-Alive sand, 12 pounds of Live Rock, 30 pounds of Texas Dry rock and a lonely Clown Fish

Attachments

• 20130425_221752.jpg
    20130425_221752.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 262
Nice man! I like the "open" set up. Plenty of room and possibilities. Your tag says you've been in the hobby for 1 week....did you cycle your tank yet before putting in your fish?

I did cycle the tank with that juice that goes great with coffee, jk. A little down that the LFS told me not to get any coral for 1-2 months. Also I am new to purchasing items and realized that I paid 30%-50% more for the same items that I bought at the LFS rather than online. I just took it as a trade off for all of the advice they gave me though... and saved a little on shipping. The live rock in the pictures I bought for $5-$7/lb. at the LFS. I have no idea what to compare it to if anyone could add in.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 221
I play things cautiously with this hobby. I didn't put any fish in for two months, and no corals for three and a half. Even then, I am adding them one at time (also partly for budgetary reasons), and with a few weeks in between. Hopefully your LFS is a locally owned shop, so if you paid more, maybe you can also feel good about supporting your local economy...
$5-$7 for LR isn't a bad deal as long as it is good quality rock. I got mine for a bit cheaper, but I was ready to pay more for better quality. It just wasn't around when I was ready to start up. Having poor quality LR will set your progress back by a bit...more die off, bigger ammonia spikes, possible bad hitchhikers and/or algae.
Always take your LFS with a grain of salt and research what you buy before actually doing it. That piece of advise (along with take things slowly) is the HARDEST advise to follow. It's easy to go into a shop, have something catch you eye, and convince yourself in a few minutes that you can't live without it...only to find out that it's incompatible with your tank, or that you paid too much...

Can't wait to see the tank progress!

These guys have great advice. A tip, though, since youll need more rock, buy dry or base rock instead of live. Itll be half the price and turn live shortly. When you add fish, I suggest qt-ing them to prevent disease and ALWAYS dip your corals. Worst thing to happen would be to buy a frag and have bristleworms, nudis or any other pest.

Back