Hello, Been doin this for about 3 months, Looking for some pointers

lifeslikeh2o

Reefing newb
I have 3 tanks, a 5.5 with a maroon clown, 8 gallon biocube still cycling, and a 40 gallon.
In my 40 gallon i have a Christmas wrasse,fairy wrasse 6-line wrasse, flasher wrasse a coral beauty, firefish, pajamma cardinal, a grade b and a picasso clownfish. and one chromis.
I also have an octopus coral a torch coral a frogspan coral purple and green flowerpots, star polyps. the other one is not coming to me at this moment but they look like metallic green palm trees. oh and hammer corals and green button corals.

Lately our torch coral which had 6 heads has been loosing its self. 5 out of six heads have diminished into what looks like a brown mucus that has covered the five heads.
Any pointers?
get-attachment.aspx

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

First off,welcome to the site.
Aint no since in beatin around the bush here.The biggest thing,is that tank is over stocked with fish.Out of the fish you have,pick your 4 favorites and trades the others.
Now for the torch coral.What your seeing is called brown jelly infection.It's contagious,so its not a surprise that its spread to the other heads of the coral.
Take the torch and a bowl of tank water.Use a turkey baster and gently blow the mucus off the coral.Then give it a 20 minute soak in Lugols Solution iodine.For the Lugols,take a gallon of water from the tank,add 40 drops of the Lugols and stir.Place the torch in the iodine solution and let it soak,replace back in the tank and pray it recovers.
Sorry,but thats about all I know to do for it.

Your tank is wayyyy overstocked. Are your fish aggressive towards each other? I'm surprised they haven't killed each other off yet. You can fit about 1 fish for every 10 gallons of tank. So you are two and a half times over the healthy limit of your tank.

Usually by the time you notice brown jelly, it's too late. Very few people have been successful at stopping the disease. I would throw the whole thing out and hope it hasn't spread to your other corals.

Your tank is wayyyy overstocked. Are your fish aggressive towards each other? I'm surprised they haven't killed each other off yet. You can fit about 1 fish for every 10 gallons of tank. So you are two and a half times over the healthy limit of your tank.

Usually by the time you notice brown jelly, it's too late. Very few people have been successful at stopping the disease. I would throw the whole thing out and hope it hasn't spread to your other corals.

I took care of it and moved most of my corals to my 5.5 gallon where they are doing spectacular. I lost the torch coral. No we have a pretty peaceful community we had a half dollar sized powder blue tang, but he was an aggressor on our entire tank. We had plans of getting a 150 gallon tank then the economy went to crap but anyways we have got it all solved and everything is oing much better. Thank you for your help!

Back