Hello..eh!!!

Hey guys,
I think it's been a week?? About a week that I've had live-sand in the tank cycling. I added some live-rock earlier today. I took some water in for them to test at the LFS. Although he didn't give m specifics(I didn't ask), he said all the perameters were good. For my own curiosity, and plus to post them here..I did some tests myself. Here are the results..
Ph:8.4
Kh:160
Nitrite:0.1
And Salinity: 1.019
My test kit doesn't have a test for Nitrate, and the Amonia test is for freshwater only.
So..I'm led to believe that all is well. I'm hoping so.
Oh..and btw..the 77ga is the FOWLR/predator tank. The 35ga will be the reef tank. I just want to have some success with fish-only first before I start a reef tank.
Thanks again to eveyone reading and responding!! Take care, guys!
Kennan

Your LFS wasn't totally honest with you, your water parameters aren't ready for fish yet.

If your nitrites are reading anything but zero, your tank is still cycling. I would wait a little longer until they get down to zero. Nitrite, even in very small amounts, can be fatal to animals.

Also, your salinity is too low. Add some more salt to your water until it gets around 1.023 to 1.025. 1.019 would be low enough to shock any animals you added.

You will need to buy an ammonia and nitrate test kit to track the cycle yourself. Since it's only been a week, I doubt the tank has fully cycled. If you used cured live rock, it's possible, but still unlikely. Chances are, you still have a little ammonia too, but you wouldn't know without testing it.

And a nitrate test kit is one of the most important kits you can get. You will need one sooner or later, and it's especially important to know what your nitrate level is after the tank is done cycling, so you know how many water changes you need to do.

Hey,
Thanks Biff!! It won't kill me to wait a little more, I agree. I've been patient this long so..what's a little more, right?
Also..what are your opinions on The Lryetail Wrasse and Emperor Angel? When I first started researching fish for a saltwater tank, a Lyretail was on my list to check out. The more I check out the Emperor..The more I like them too! So..like I said..I may just get both.
Thanks for replying and for the advice..MUCH APPRECIATED!!
Take care, guys(and gals)!!
Kennan

The lyretail (aka lunare) wrasse and emperor angel are both not reef safe. If you are planning on keeping a reef tank (or a cleaner crew), these fish aren't considered compatible. The wrasse will eat your cleaner crew, such as snails, crabs, shrimp, etc. and may eat corals. The angel will eat corals, but it's unlikely that it will eat your cleaner crew.

If you are aware of that and still want to get them, the lunare wrasse is a hardy fish and is easy to keep. It's a great fish for a fish only tank. Emperors need larger tanks and are more sensitive to water quality, so I would not recommend an emperor for a new tank. They are also more susceptible to disease and stress. An adult would need a tank at least 100 gallons in size. Once your tank has been up and running and healthy for at least 6 months, then you could look at getting an emperor. Not to mention, they are very expensive (fish wise) and I would not recommend a "beginner" purchase such an expensive animal as their first fish. You really would be better off trying your hand at some less expensive fish first, so if they happen to die it won't hurt your wallet so bad. Lunare wrasses are also expensive, but not as bad as a big angel.

At my LFS, the Wrasse is around the $30 mark. And The Emperor is around $100. Yeah, this tank will be fish-only. The 35ga tank will be my reef tank. I agree with your advice that it's probably good to wait a little bit to get an Emperor. I'm told they are pretty hardy but not as much as the Wrasse. And of course the Wrasse is cheaper too. Hopefully I don't get too impulsive and impatient.
Thanks again. Feel free to give me some advice anytime you want..I'll take it!! :)
Take care,
Kennan

p.s......I have been reading that a Lyretail Wrasse is best to add LAST to a tank, as he/she gets very aggressive towards any new additions. That being said..maybe I should reconsider him being my first. If that's the case..what would you guys recommend for the first couple of fish in a predator/fish-only tank??
Thanks again!!
Kennan

Back