Hello every one im Edward

Edward Mendez

Reefing newb
Ok my name is Edward, im new to this hobby for one month with my starter 20gallon fresh water tank which im trying super hard to keep up. I have 3 corydories albinos, 1 betta and 1 fancy gumpy, i been having ups and down in this new journey of mines, which made me find this new site and to join in. Ill hope to meet every member and to become advisor for any new members in the future.

Here is my test results for my new tank

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 1.0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

5 fishes in my tank and i have 5 amazone sword plants and 2 sponge filters with bio ceramic and 1 bio quiet flow with steedy flow. Please tell me if i need help because i dont know if im on the right path.

Thank you

The focus here on this site is Reefs and Saltwater but most have some form of freshwater experience. The thing that stands out to me there is your nitrites being at 1.0 which is pretty high (ideally ammonia and nitrites should be zero). Nitrites are toxic to fish in both Freshwater and Saltwater, so we need to figure out what is causing those. How long has your tank been running and has the tank been through the nitrogen cycle? I would recommend getting some Seachem Prime for your tank as that will at least detoxify the nitrites while you are figuring things out

Also what test kit are you using and what filtration method?

The focus here on this site is Reefs and Saltwater but most have some form of freshwater experience. The thing that stands out to me there is your nitrites being at 1.0 which is pretty high (ideally ammonia and nitrites should be zero). Nitrites are toxic to fish in both Freshwater and Saltwater, so we need to figure out what is causing those. How long has your tank been running and has the tank been through the nitrogen cycle? I would recommend getting some Seachem Prime for your tank as that will at least detoxify the nitrites while you are figuring things out

Also what test kit are you using and what filtration method?

Im sorry that im posting a fresh water question but i also am building a nano salt water reef but is in the process of buying each items but i will need help on that later on, but im starting with my fresh water experience to build up some educational and knowledge.

I have the tank running over a month cycling fishless, i had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate 2 weeks ago. I decide to have 3 corydories, 1 betta and 1 fancy gumpy in my 20 gallon tank and some how i had an outrageous ammonia spiked and nitrite above 2.0 and 3.0, i have been using prime and safe api over and over to lower ammonia and nitrite with 50% water changes and adding top fin bacterial over the course and cant bring nitrite down, so im in this type of limbo over a week. Im stuck in this step, i had heard to add 7X times prime over my 20 tank around 14ml but im scared to overdose my fishes and kill them another way, i know i sound ignorant but this a new hoobie and im willing to learn and go over this. So im free for any advises and directions. Thank you and god bless you

Today

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite1.0ppm
Natrite 20ppm

Back