Hello Everyone! Setting up my FIRST saltwater tank...

JeniferLH

Reefing newb
Hello All!

My name's Jen, I'm an Army wife living the good life here in Hawaii. I decided to build a saltwater tank while the husband is deployed, both as a surprise for him when he gets back, and to just give myself a cool and rewarding hobby in general.

I've done a lot of research and spent a lot of time over the last few days just getting the supplies and aquascape set up. Now, I'm sitting here waiting for my tank to hit the right temperature and then I'll be checking the gravity again, then testing PH, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, hardness, and alkalinity/buffering..whew! Hopefully tomorrow the tank will be ready for cycling with a Damsel or two.

It's odd how I dont have buyers remorse from all the tank supplies I've accumulated. I'm just too dang excited! :^: But if anyone has words of wisdom/tips/advice, pass them on to me, I'm completely open to it.

Welcome!!!! And how is Hawaii? I am thinking of trying to make that my next duty station. It sounds like a GREAT surprise for him AND a VERY addicting hobby

Huh, looks like a lot of military here!!!! Lol

Welcome!! It is a really interesting hobby so far. I've been doing alot of research to prepare myself for the pits and falls. I have found myself up at 2 am in the morning reading about it. It's like an addiction.

leon - Hawaii is AWESOME! I highly recommend it, especially for those who like the ocean and all the goes with it (surfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, etc.) There's so much to do here and the weathers perfect, usually 80 degrees and sunny unless its the rainy season. We just extended our time here....

Welcome!! It is a really interesting hobby so far. I've been doing alot of research to prepare myself for the pits and falls. I have found myself up at 2 am in the morning reading about it. It's like an addiction.

I know exactly what you mean! It seems like research is all I do now that I have made up my mind to start one.

:sfish:

Tell me about it!!!! My GF told me she felt neglected cuz I was doing so much research. Never thought id say this, but the research is 1/2 the fun. Im going on 4 months research daily. Lol

Dixiegirl - I have a 30 gallon tank. I'll take pictures once the Damsels are in!

Reefer - I was also up WAY too late researching this stuff. Addiction is right, but there ARE worse things in life to be addicted to...

Wow. Hawaii. I have a reef tank to remind me of better places when enduring NYC's winters but you live right in the middle of some great diving. Jealous! :)

Hello. Don't cycle using damsels. It's a cruel and outdated practice. Live fish should never be used to cycle. A better method is to use live rock or a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store. It accomplishes the same thing (a spike in ammonia), but without sacrificing the lives of the animals. If the damsels survive, they become terrors in the tank, since they are so aggressive. They are likely to bully and kill any fish you try to add afterwards. There's no reason to cycle using fish.

Tell me about it!!!! My GF told me she felt neglected cuz I was doing so much research. Never thought id say this, but the research is 1/2 the fun. Im going on 4 months research daily. Lol

My GF says the same lol

Just give her plenty of kisses and buy her flowers and she'll wanna make you happy when you want to spend your money on that "got to have it" fish.

Hello. Don't cycle using damsels. It's a cruel and outdated practice. Live fish should never be used to cycle. A better method is to use live rock or a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store. It accomplishes the same thing (a spike in ammonia), but without sacrificing the lives of the animals. If the damsels survive, they become terrors in the tank, since they are so aggressive. They are likely to bully and kill any fish you try to add afterwards. There's no reason to cycle using fish.

Thank you, the idea of cycling with Damsels was actually bugging me. I was told by the "saltwater expert" at the tropical fish store to use them... I bought some tufa rock and live rock as well so I'll just stick with what I have.

Thank you, the idea of cycling with Damsels was actually bugging me. I was told by the "saltwater expert" at the tropical fish store to use them... I bought some tufa rock and live rock as well so I'll just stick with what I have.
You obviously always want to take this guy's opinion with a grain of salt from now on, as with any Local Fish Store you ever encounter. Always research first then make purchases ;) Looks like your already on the right track!

Best thing I can give for advice as of right now is to make sure you use(d) RO/DI water or distilled water when mixing up the salt water. You want Phosphates to be 0 always to avoid horrible algae issues in the future ;)

As for testing, during your cycle you only really need to test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate during your cycle phase. The rest (Alkalinity/Calcium/Mag) isn't until you get a decent amount of corals. Weekly water changes with RO/DI water will keep your tank quite healthy, easy as that! =P

BTW, welcome to the Reef! :)
Its a great adventure!

P.S. I was active duty stationed in Alaska 3 summers ago. Now I'm a reservist at home in Michigan =P You picked a great hobby to get into!

Back