Hello Everyone

rverbeck

Reefing newb
Well I am new to posting but not new to reading. I have been going through the archives reading, reading, and well........reading, for quite a while now. I am glad I found this website as there is a lot of good information on here.
Well a little info on myself. I have had my tank currently for about 1 1/2 yrs. I should know more than I currently do, and my tank should be healthier than it is by now, but unfortunately my lfs isnt the best resource in town ( hence all the reading :D ). At the same time, I must say that I have had pretty good success. I will admit that up until yesterday, I have been using conditioned tap water. But like I said, that is up till yesterday. I am now using RO water and am planning on buying a RO/DI unit myself within the next 2 months or sooner ( wife pending):fechten2:

Believe it or not, only one fish has died due to my neglegance of tap water but I must say the algae is getting pretty bad.

Well I'm not gonna make an intro a mile long so Thanks in Advance for all the help.

Welcome to the site! I know exactly how you fell about the wife pending part.LOL If you wife says no then you can get RO out of machines at most grociery stores. I go to walmart and get it .33 a gal. I have been measuring with a TDS meter and it has been very clean so far, another back up is the 1 gal jugs of distilled water from walmart for .65 a gal and the TDS on it is only 5PPM. Just a thought in case the unit dose not work out for you. Good luck, and glad to have you.

Thanks for the info. I am currently getting RO water from my lfs for .29 /g. So its not bad at all. As far as my wife goes.....She doesnt understand why I gotta buy water when " we have a sink full of the stuff" LOL.

The good thing is, she knows I plan to buy a RO/DI unit, just dont know how quickly. Depends on xtra $$$. Could be next weekend... could be 2 months from now with taxes, who knows.

But thanks for the welcome

Welcome to the site and good luck.
Many people here has bought an RO/DI unit and TDS meter for only $60 plus shipping from an Ebay store.It works well and will save you a ton compared to a name brand.I can find the link for you if needed.

Hay I might need that. Go ahead and post it. How bought them, and how do they like em? I don't remeber hearing nothing about them. Must have been on my hyatus (sp) LOL

Hi and welcome! My TDS is at 400 plus out of the tap, and through that $60 six stage RODI unit, it comes out close to 0 every time. Definitely worth it, although I am suspicious as to why such a seemingly great unit is so cheap. The replacement cartridges are probably eight times the price ;)

Welcome to the reef.
Typical of the wife pending,lol.Dont every thing work like that?
Post any questions you have,and we only ask for pics in return.

Don't mean to alarm you, but I tried to check out replacment membrains and the guys home store says this item is no longer availible.

I am so glad to see so many people jump into a thread to help a new person to the site. That is AWESOME!

The price of that RO unit could definately be why its so inexpensive. But isnt there some sort of generic filters that you can use as a (one size fits all) thing? I thought that most of the RO/DI units came in a pretty standard size.

I was wondering why the Kent Maxxima RO/DI units are so expensive compared to to these types of units on ebay. Is the qualilty of the product that much better? or is it just " Name Brand".

I also wanted to know, with these units taking 4 - 5 gallons of tap water to make 1 gallon of clean water, how much have your water bills went up? I wouldnt think it would be that bad if you just turned it off after having the water you need until you need more.

Well I got my RO/DI unit. It is a Abundant Flow Water 75 GPD ordered of off ebay. I am glad to say that it had fast delivery (ordered tues night @ 7 pm got it today). Really easy hook-up and it seem to be a great product. I am so glad I will not have to pay for my water now and I know that my water quality is good!

Back