Hello everyone

stugt4

Reefing newb
Hi everyone ive been interested in fish for a few yrs now owning 3 tanks 2 are tropical. I have a 6ft tank with an Oscar and friends. I also have a 120l tank with a blue crayfish in. My third tank which is a 240l used to house malawi cichlids. I decided now ive been a succesful tropical fish keeper i fancy trying marine....My tank is still in the cycle part. all the live rock,sand is in. my lfs also said adding a fish would be fine so ive added 1 percula clownfish which is doing great....i will start to add more in a few weeks.... Not rushing into it...this forum has some great info....The only thing im not sure on is I buy my water instead of making it myself....and the salt water is in one container and the r.o in another.....how long does these waters keep in a sealed container.......thanks for any answers.....stu

also, if your fish store told you to add i fish to a cycling tank, i suggest finding a new fish store, and take the fish out of your tank before it dies

ive had the tank running for 1 month without the fish..just live rock...and live sand, so i believe due to no wastes it would still be cycling.....

your right but you dont need a fish to cycle a tank, and its putting the fish through hell with the high ammonia and nitrite levels which are deadly to a fish

Dustin,I think Stugt is saying he cycled his tank with live rock.

Welcome to the site Stugt.The water will keep for a pretty good while in the sealed containers.

Last edited:
If the tank has been going for a month with live rock and live sand, then it's perfectly fine to add a fish. Especially in a tank that size. Water will be fine for several weeks.

Glad you found us and welcome to the site!

yeh sorry if you misunderstood me i did cycle it with live rock and live sand first....i woudnt buy a fish until i knew it was safe to add in the tank....

im sorry if ive offended anyone...i thought i'd register on here for a great site and good information...not get slated for what ive done so far...i'll go find a new website that doesn't have a go at beginners doing somthing they feel is ok...i generally thought 1 month with live rock and live sand before adding fish was ok obviously im so evil to add a fish 1 months down the line....

Easy now.Adding the clown a month into it isnt that bad.Hell,with my first tank,I had 4 fish in a 30gal in the first 2 weeks.
You cycled the tank,then added the fish.We all generally get the first fish right after the cycles done,so no big deal.

im sorry if ive offended anyone...i thought i'd register on here for a great site and good information...not get slated for what ive done so far...i'll go find a new website that doesn't have a go at beginners doing somthing they feel is ok...i generally thought 1 month with live rock and live sand before adding fish was ok obviously im so evil to add a fish 1 months down the line....

You wouldn't want to do that ... everyone is pretty easy going and it is a great site. It's just hard to tell sometimes when it's in writing. And we have all made many mistakes.

Back