hello everyone

fishbait

I found Nemo
just wanted to introduce myself. i am new to saltwater and this website. i've had freshwater tanks since i was ten years old. allways wanted to do saltwater. so i finally took the plunge. i have to say that i'm totally addicted. freshwater was getting a little boring after 21 years. i converted my 55 gallon freshwater to saltwater on new years day. what a new years resolution huh. so far my equipment is a coralife 65 super skimmer, a cascade canister filter,current usa dual actinic lights. appx. 3 inches of sand and 50 pounds of live rock. currently taking donations for my need more rock foundation. if anyone's interested in donating.haha! as for my critters i have 2 percula clowns, a diamond goby, 1 cleaner shrimp and an anemone. which i just bought yesterday.

well, i'm kinda scared about my lighting after reading the post here tonite. I have the current usa satelitte. it has dual daylight 6500/10000k bulbs. and the actinic bulbs that are purple on one side and blue on the other. I cant remember what they were called. they are 65 watts per bulb. is 135 watts enough for the anemone?

Bobby is right, 6 to 8 watts per gallon. You have a little over 2 watts per gallon. That's enough light for fish, but not for corals or anemones.

thanks for the info guys. i feel a little ripped off by my pet store guy. i told him what i was wanting to raise and he said yeah, those lights are bright enough to raise anything you want. i guess that was because they were the brightest ones that he had in stock. i told you guys wrong on the model. they are currrent orbits, and not satellites

i'm not sure what kind of anemone i have. maybe a rock anemone? he has long tentacles that are white with a little purple at the ends. i just know its not a sebae or bubble tip because that's the ones i really like. and the store was out of them when i bought mine

Some LFS owners are good, and some just want to make a sale. I've found it helpful to post on here before you buy equipment and we'll tell you what we think about it.

Can you return the lights (if it's not too late?). You should check out the helpful articles section (link at the top of the page), if you want to keep corals or anemones, you basically have 3 choices for lighting: PCs, T5s and Metal Halide. There are some good articles that discuss these options.

i have been feeding him phytoplankton and zoo plankton. do i need to supplement with something else? yes bobby, he was 10 bucks.

Honestly, I'd take it back to the store or find a friend to "hold" him until you can buy the lights that it needs to survive. With only 2 WPG it won't survive for long, no matter what you're feeding it. Once you get new lights, anemones will gratefully accept chunks of seafood (silversides, squid, scallops) once or twice a week and it's pretty cool to watch them eat.

Welcome to the site and nothing to add at this time except go slow on your stocking levels and give your system a chance to mature. Glad you found us.

IMO you would be better off taking it back like biff said untill your tank can mature more and you can get the proper lights. I really want a nem myself, I have the proper lighting and my tank has be set up for 6 months now but I think that is still not long enough, anemones need very good water and very good lights, so the longer you wait the more you will learn about yuor tank and about keeping the water quality good. Just my 0.2 cents though.

hey guys, i was wondering about my lights so i went to the manufactures website to look at some specs. when counting the wattage of youre lights do you count only the wattage of each individual bulb. or is it total wattage of all bulbs combined. mine are 65 watts each and there are four bulbs. according to the website mine has a total power of 265 watts. if you more experianced guys dont mind would you check this out for me. the website is CURRENT WHAT'S NEXT click on light fixtures, then the orbit model. and mine is model #1024 at the bottom of the page. youre help is grately appreciated

sounds like a condilactus and are you sure about your wattage cause it sounds like if he told you that it was enough and you have 48 inch orbit you should have the one with 4 65 watt bulbs pushin you to 260 yeah you have enough you do have the 4 bulb version dual daylight and actinic yes you can raise the anemone with that pay attn guys gees :D

I think that light will work fro short term care of the anemone not longterm. Thats only 4.7 wpg and the suggested wpg is 6 to 8 at the min. Those are good lights though, you could keep alot of different corals with that light. If your wanting something to host a clown fish then you should go with corals, your tanks not been set up long enough for a anemone, besides the condy is not a clown hosting anemone. I have seen some clowns try and host one but the anemone just closes up because its agrevated at the clown.

Back