Hello everyone

LionFish

Resident Photoshopper
Hi!
my name is Joe I am very new to this hobby.
I have had Great Luck so far but I am well aware of what could go wrong

I obtained my 55 gallon tank for FREE:mrgreen: ( my wife cleans abandoned Trailers for a Mobile home park so they can be resold)
While cleaning a trailer she saw the tank in the living room, It had Nasty Water in it and Covered in red slime algae! In the back Room there was a Smaller tank ( 30gallon or so ) With about 1/4 amount of VERY NASTY Tan colored water! when she went to clean them she was surprised to Find a Blue regal Tang and a Clown fish ( NEMO AND DORRIE ) alive and kicking ! we quickly got out a 20 gallon tank we had cleaned out and went to a Fish store to see what we needed to get is Up long enough to save the fish. We Did it !

I now have the 55 Gallon set up With a Yellow tang, Tomato Clown, Red volidian Lion fish, Coral beauty, Blue Regal Tang, Nemo passed away last week :frustrat:, I also have an Anemone (Purple and Green ) I'll Post my Question in the Noobs section lol! :Cheers:

Hello and welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you might have... That's a lot of big fish for a tank that size. Be careful. With it being a new setup and all, you don't want to cause your tank to crash by rushing things and adding too many fish. What kind of lights do you have? Anemones need a very high amount of light. Also, I'd be extra careful of the blue regal tang, they need much more space than a 55 gallon tank, and they are notorious for having disease outbreaks and spreading it (ich). Please give us some more details on the type of equipment you are using, and have fun!

Congrats on saving them. Biff is right you dont want to add too much too fast, and the blue tang will get too big for the 55 and could lead to ich.

Congratulations on the finding the tank.
Any questions you have,feel free to post them.Evry body here is more than willing to help any way we can.

Welcome to the site. I am glad you have found us. At present our photo gallery is down but hope to have it back up soon. again welcome to our site.

I have the 2 Coral Life UV bulbs in and 2 10,000 K Bulbs

Thanks for the welcome !

I have it planned at tax time to invest in a Curved 220 gallon tank with Full Sump set up and a Nicer Light system! $2,200 in all :D the Blue tang is still small enough to thrive in 55 gallon ( or so my Fish guy says lol)
my Lion is a baby as well 6 in. long as of now my Anemone is the largest feature in the tank I have Loads of Lace rock in there now making lots of nice caves and such !

I can't wait till tax time again !

how many total watts of lights do you have on the 55 gallon? Anemones require a large lighting system for them to thrive.

sorry !

I have two 15watt and two 30 watt lights

the tank has a Huge light fixture with a ballast and a 4 tube Long light system but it was a home made job i pluged it in and the light flickered
but failed to come on ! so I bought these 4 the lights in my 4 hubs are 18 In. Cheap lights ! actnic 420 x2 and 10.000K x2

Unfortunately - that is not enough light to keep your anemone alive. In a 55 gallon tank - you are going to want to have well over 350 watts of lighting.

Your lighting will be okay if all you want to keep is fish. No corals will survive.

I have two 15watt and two 30 watt lights

If you have 90 watts on a 55 gallon tank (less than 2 watts per gallon) and are trying to keep an anemone, I agree with Adrastos, that is not nearly enough for corals or especially an anemone, which normally require around 10 watts per gallon to do well. I would take the anemone back to the store ASAP and hope it's not too late for it.

Ok Ive ordered a New Light !
Not quite a 500+ watt system mut it will no doubt help my situation
Not a bad price, all I can afford for now ! $165.00 265 Watt

Auctiva Image Hosting I can put up the E-bay link if any if you are interested

Last edited:
I bought a light from them for my 46 gallon - it's a great light and that ebay seller is great to deal with. You will no doubt be happy!

thanks again for the info guys !

I have another stupid question !
When you say 10 watts per gallon are you refering to the tank size and not the amount of water in the tank .
What i am getting at is I have a 55 gallon tank + all the lace rock I have+ the amount of crushed coral/sand that leaves me with about 35 to 40 gallons of water in the tank. Am i looking into this to much or am I on the right track !

Back