Hello everyone

fredo24

Reefing newb
Name is Fredo and im pretty new to this. I have a 30 gal with a clown and a brown scopas tang. I have no live rock in my tank just some plastic decos.

Hello and welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Scopas tangs need tanks 100 gallons or larger, I'd look into finding him a new home or upgrading your tank size if you plan on keeping him.

Cool! Thats exactly where i was going. He is still juvenile so hes ok for now but i will be upgrading real soon. But i encountered a bit of a concern. My water is kind of cloudy..white. I tried water changes, water clarifiers and it doesnt seem to help. Lately i have also been getting nitrite and nitrate readings...not high but still even after water changes. Any thoughts?

Do you add any additives to the water? And what kind of water do you use for your water changes and top-off (tap water, RODI water, etc.)? Have you added anything new to the tank recently or changed any of your routines?

Ok well for water changes i use tap water. I use NovAqua+ water conditioner and AmQuel+ to remove nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. I did add a new deco piece...about a month ago. No protein skimmer, but i have a regular carbon bio filter and feed my friends once/day.

I would switch from tap water to RODI water. Tap water can contain other heavy metals that can harm your tank inhabitants. You can buy RODI water at your LFS or even Walmart carries it. What kind of food do you feed (flakes, pellets, frozen, etc.)?

Well this was not a problem in the past but i will try it. I usually feed frozen items like brine and algae.
PIC-0069.jpg

This is Alex (clown) and Ruben (Tang)

Welcome to the site!
I agree with Biff that tap water is not ideal for saltwater aquaria.From the info that you gave,sounds like a bacteria bloom cause by overfeeding or overstock.Your system may not be able to handle the bioload.IMO,changing to RO/DI water,a good skimmer and replacing the decor with live rock will go along way in stabilizing your system.....best of luck.

I agree with Biff and Reef.
If you dont have room or the funds for an RO unit,you can get RO water at wal-mart for 33 cents a gallon.
If your using flakes and pellets to feed,switch over to frozen foods.
Plus,If your getting a reading on nitrits,then you got a problem some where.
I'll bet you,ve done something to throw your tank into another cycle.

nice tank..defenetly a good protein skimmer, and a couple of powerheads for current, it looks like the tank needs more filtration, have you considered having live rock??

Good asvice so far

You said carbon filter. do you have a BIO wheel on it? If so remove the wheel that has been known to cause nitrates. How long did your tank cycle prior to adding fish!

I cycled for about 2 months before adding fish. You know just by looking at my tank and many of others at stores and buddies i did notice mine had very little current...or rather not current since i dont have a powerhead. I will be upgrading soon so i definitely will invest in a good powerhead and protein skimmer. Any suggestions for filtration or any other products for good water?

i would say a Skimmer, Live rock and 2 powerheads.
Flow helps alot korillia makes Awsome powerheads

For water ask your LFS for some RO water and mix it 2 or 3 days beforehand

i agree, without any live rock, powerheads, or a skimmer you may be getting a buildup of proteins in the water. without these necessary methods of filtration it doesn't have anywhere to go. tank still looks though. oh, and welcome to the site

Back