Hello Everyone

reef_this

Reefing newb
Hi everyone. Im exited because,this is the first forum that i ever signed up too and Im a bit new to this hobby...I say a bit new because, i did have a 10 gallon fowlr but, i am seeking into getting a much bigger tank..I am interested into getting a 90 gallon , but i noticed that the 55 gallon tank has pretty much the same dimensions. My question is, should i pay a little extra for the 90g or go for the 55 gallon? Also, a list of hardware would be most appreciated...Thank you:D:D:D

howdy and welcome to the site. :D I would definately go with the 90 more volume equals more stabilty, plus you can throw another 4 fish ( rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons) or so in a 90.. It will be a little more expensive upfront but you will be happy you did it down the road.. sand, an inch or two at the bottom doesnt have to be live will turn live as it cycles
List of what you will need to get up and running, some good t-5 lights ( 6bulb or so for a 90), powerheads ( you want to turn the tank over 30 times or so per hour) this will allow you enough for corals down the road, good protein skimmer reef octopus makes a real nice one, liverock ( or some live the rest dry will turn live) 1 to 2 pounds per gallon, heater I would reccomend 2 since it is the one thing that breaks most often in this hobby like a 200 and a 150 watt.. Down the road or from the beginning you can look into a sump with refugium..
good luck...

Last edited:
Back