Hello Everyone

liquidattitude

Reefing newb
Hi,
I have always wanted a Salt Water tank....My Hubby and I just took the leap. 14 gallon bio-cube.....Right now we are sitting tight with just water, sand and live rock. Doing all our research. I love it already....
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to articles and posting to help the newbie! I have been reading everything. My head is spinning :blueflowe:
Look forward to chatting with you!

welcome to the site I'm glad our mutterings here were of help to you hope that you get to enjoy all the wonders of the hobby :D

Hello everyone,
Ok so before I came here and I read about tap water. We (on the advice of the LFS) used tap water and the drops. I only have sand and just added live rock in the tank. Should I dump it and start over..now? I have a protein skimmer; I read that it interferes with that also.....

The dechlorinator will bother the skimmer, but there is no need to dump and start over. Just start doing water changes with RO/DI water. Over time the tap water will be diluted out.

Feel free to ask us any questions, we are here to help! I would also highly suggest checking out the articles sections, especially the water chemistry one if you are reading up about the cycle.

New question after reading a bunch of info. We have no fish in the tank. How do we get the cycle to happen? I read somewhere to add ammonia(????) since we are doing a fish-less start. Somewhere else i read to put in a shrimp to start the process?
I read everything on this site and it didn't address a cycle without fish. Suggestions?
Thanks

Ok. Will do. Looking at the most economical way of doing the 40% water change that is required on a monthly basis. Looking at a RO unit....I am reading what it and what it does. I figure on a 14 gallon tank that is 6 gallons. Suggestions?

its much better to do a 10% water change once a week, or a 20% biweekly than a once a month water change. On a tank that small, i would probably buy RO/DI water from the LFS or store.

looking around at what i am going to use to do the water change, what is the best for washing/rinsing things out so i can use them. Like i bought a container that has the measurements on the side to make it easy, but i want to rinse it out well and i don't want anything introduced that can kill future living things in the tank.

Thanks Little Fish. Just came back from my LFS and had our water tested. I also bought the testing kits to do it on my own from here on out. Bought RO.
Readings:
Ammonia =0
Copper=0
salinity=1.027 (high)
PH=7.8 (low)
Nitrate=20 ppm
So I am going to do a 20% water change and work on getting the PH up.
Let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

Back