Hello everyone

Cdose

Reefing newb
Just found this forum and wanted to give it a try. The current forum I'm using Is a biit less than stellar.

Working on my second saltwater tank in the last 6 years. Prior to that I did freshwater tanks since I was a kid. My current tank is 60 gal. Hob 450 gallon hr filter.I have a sand crushed coral and shell bottom. My tank is only 1 month old and so far I've only added 25lbs of cured live rock. I haven't picked up reef lighting yet so no corals or anything. I still need my skimmer,lights,a circ pump for in the tank and another 40lbs live rock. I'm on a budget so going really slow. My current live rock has some good purple,pink,maroon and orange coralline algae on it.

I have two peppermint shrimp so I have something to look at besides my rock. I won't add anything but more rock until I get my lights,skimmer. I don't mind gong slow.

My test kit only tests PH,Nitrites,Nitraits and ammonia. After one month my water parameters are perfect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Not the best picture. I can't figure out how to put multiple pictures in one post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 269
Hi and Welcome!! There is a lot of knowledge on this site that is willing to share their experience to answer question.

Tank is looking good!

Hello and Welcome!

Before you get too far along, I would remove the crushed coral. It turns into a gigantic crap trap that leads to endless water quality issues. Also a much cheaper way to add rock (so you still have money for the fun stuff!) is to add dry rock. After being in the tank, it will become live anyways. The best place I have found to order dry rock is MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

Thanks for the welcome. I actually like starting my tanks with live rock. I have a great source for live rock and it comes with plenty of coraline algae growth on it. I used the same live rock on my first tank and had great results. I really also like the look of the mixed sand, crushed corral and shell bottom. Same mixture I had in my first tank and I didn't have problems with build up of waste. It's mixed enough I can vacuum it easily to clean when I'm doing tank maintenance. I'm really good about not over feeding and I don't over crowd my tanks and that helps keep waste down. Plus my sand, shell bed is not that deep making it easy to clean. My last tank was also a more aggressive tank and with this tank I want a more friendly, happy coral, nice fish and critter tank. It doesnt look like much but I think I may surprise some of you here in the future with how it turns out.

Last edited:
Back