hello Fellow Reefers !!!!

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Well it has been awhile !!! How is everyone doing... Better then me as far as their tanks are concerned !!

Nothing really new as far as adding to the tank.. Money has been tight so we all can relate to that right ? The MAIN reason for my post is the get some help elliminating HAIR algae !!!! Does anything eat it or am I screwed !!! I still have TONS of coraline algae and my parameters have not been out of wack (nitrates are always around 20 ppm cant get them lower no matter what I do mainly because I dont use RO/DI water like I should.
Now my tank has been up and running since I moved in November. And I am just now noticing the hair algae so I hope I can solve this problem soon. Still have my fuge running with cheato in it. GROWING CRAZY!! I have to cut it back like 2 a month since I have only a small fuge.
Tell me what I can do..... (I know I should use RO/Di water, bit I know that I'm not the only one here that does that. I do regular water changes also.... This has been the longest I went without changing the water (1 month) ran out of salt.
Thank in advances !!

I have been wondering what about those filters you can put on your sink for drinking water? I have one made by dupont and when i bought it said that it took 99% of chlorine and phosphates out of the water, I have never tested it but i did start using it for top off water when things started getting tight money wise. I figured at the time that it was better then using straight tap water with a conditioner in it.

Glad to see you back on here Ray.
I'm betting that your nitrates are coming from your tap water.You could try using some distilled water,or even the water out og the RO machine at wally world to help with the nitrates.
Another thing you can do to help with the hair algae.Run your PH up to 8.4-8.5.Most algae cant handle the higher PH.

yote...will that mess with my coraline also ..... I know I shouldn't raise the PH to fast right?
I also realized yesterday that my overflow tube was clogged really bad. so I think that slowed my flow up a bit. I cleared that all up and things are moving nicely again.

Just from what I've noticed with my tank,the coralline seems to like the higher PH pretty good.My corals love it too,from what I can tell.
But naw,you dont want to raise it very quick.

Wholefoods stores have RO machines at 39 cents a gallon. I've seen them at Wal-Mart too. Call around. I used to go get RO water for my 29 in jugs. Its worth it considering your problems.

Back