Hello from across the pond

Scots_art

Reefing newb
I will now introduce my self, as some of you may have noticed i joined the forum and created a post regarding led lighting .

Firstly cheers to those who have helped me out already :bowdown: been a great help already.

Right , "" Hi from across the pond "" as i am away over here in Scotland so if i wave i am not sure you will see me lol..

My name is James i am 6 ' 7" and i just turned 29 ( old sod lol ) today ( 23rd Dec ).
I am an artist , did have my own hand engraving glass business for just over 2 years , then was forced to close due to the mess of the world . and i am now a full time carer for both my parents . so hope to return to marine keeping so i have something relaxing to watch when i have me time to chill out .

I am a bit of an amateur photographer , love fly fishing and fly tying , interested in the Paranormal , monster myths such as big foot etc. also into PC gaming online . i play FPS such as battlefield 3 , and medal of honour warfighter 3 though that was a waste of money as it does not work properly and the company are doing nothing to sort the problems.

I also like tattoos and at the moment i only have 2 but working on designing my 3rd which will be of a brown trout , that i want on my lower arm just bellow the elbow.

So i am afraid thats it , my little intro. nothing exciting sadly lol.
but think i will take my shoes off now and stick around.:Cheers::Cheers:

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2013

Last edited:
Welcome James from another fly fishing nut. I grew up fishing for Atlantic salmon but they were put on endangered list so just a trout fisherman now. Back in the mid 80's I met a fella from over your way who showed me how to use one of those big 2 handed spey rods. A different way of casting that I cant get the hang of. But cool to see how its done over there. Not big on the war games but am severely addicted to online golf and poker. Anyways....have you started a tank build thread? Look forward to seeing it come together.

Salty B .. i play an online golf game . WGT if you play that we should try have a game some time.
No thread started yet , not much point as i have nothing to show yet lol.
All i have is the cabinet i built my self for $80 and the ceramic rock i got unused from someone who bought to much . i got 10kg for $40.
and i have used almost all of it but still have plenty open areas , swim through , caves , outcrops.

Double hander spey casting is the salmon fly fishing which i dont do , far to expensive for my tastes.
i just use the normal single handed fly rod, i am lucky enough to have the worlds famous Loch Leven on my door step.

I use a 10ft 8# which is the standard Loch rod for Scotland.
I just took up river fishing earlier in the year and bought my self a river kit , smaller rod which is a 3# if i remember right.

cheers for the welcome Smitty and Little.

Last edited:
Sorry Sen but if you think i am walking 123 miles ( and thats the short cut ) just to pass on your regards to nessie then you are mistaken lol.

would be quicker for you to fly over and do it your self :mrgreen:

Welcome,
My wife''s birthday is today (Dec, 24) and yours was yesterday.. interesting small talk.

She kind-a gets robbed or her birthday, so we usually do something a month or so early and spring it on her so she can have a day of her own.

I look forward to chatting more with you... will be watching to see how the LED thing goes.

Well Poksal i have 2 options for LED one is possibly consider shipping something over from America but i have to do a lot of looking into it first. As sadly our government likes to get money from us on things we buy from out of the UK.

The other option is stay within the UK for buying the lights, but the company i would be using is currently working on a new bulb design so i might hold off and see what the bulb is going to be.

Happy birthday to your wife , being a Christmas baby has its plus and minus sides lol.
right back to the kitchen i go , been stuck in the kitchen all day getting food ready and had to run down to the florists to pick up one of moms christmas gifts and when i got it home i realised it was not what i paid for so phoned head office complained and they called the shop and told them not to close i was coming back down.
left the florist with all the flowers and a little more added in , and was given a box of $20 chocolates free as well.

Well Poksal i have 2 options for LED one is possibly consider shipping something over from America but i have to do a lot of looking into it first. As sadly our government likes to get money from us on things we buy from out of the UK.

The other option is stay within the UK for buying the lights, but the company i would be using is currently working on a new bulb design so i might hold off and see what the bulb is going to be.

Happy birthday to your wife , being a Christmas baby has its plus and minus sides lol.
right back to the kitchen i go , been stuck in the kitchen all day getting food ready and had to run down to the florists to pick up one of moms christmas gifts and when i got it home i realised it was not what i paid for so phoned head office complained and they called the shop and told them not to close i was coming back down.
left the florist with all the flowers and a little more added in , and was given a box of $20 chocolates free as well.

Only have a moment... it is that time of the year... wanted to say.. make sure that company does some R&D (research & development) on that set of lights to be sure they are reef friendly... or.... get in on the deal and offer to provide information for their R&D for credit.... thinking out loud here..

companies here in the UK are not like that i am afraid . the only time they give to get feed back is if you are best friends or are already respected in the hobby and have proper equipment for lux etc etc.

But yes it is a proper Marine aquatics business that make the lights and is a known seller in the UK .

Back