Hello From Boston

Navarchus

Almost smarter than a pig
Hi everyone! Years ago (1999-2003) I had a reef tank. I tore it down when I went back to school, but now I have returned! I used to come to thereefweb.com all the time, but when I wanted to get back into the hobby it had disappeared. I hope this is its continuation because it was much better than that "other" reef site. Even if it is not, this site seems pretty cool.

Whoa! So much has changed in the hobby since those days. I never even heard of a closed loop circulation before. I hope you guys can help me get back into this and help me update my antiquated knowledge.

So, I plan on using my old equipment as much as possible. I will be using my same old 120 gallon AllGlass tank, with two LittleGiant 3-MD-SC pumps driving the main return from a 55 gallon sump. The sump has three chambers: an input chamber, a refugium with plenum, and a return chamber. In the input chamber, I have an AquaC EV-180 protein skimmer that is driven by an old Rio 2500. I have two 400W MH Pendants from Custom Sealife (a company that since went out of business). The actinic portion of both these pendants don't seem to work anymore.

So that’s my hardware. I was just about to add a deep sand bed and fill the tank up with water, but I notice there is new thinking on deep sand beds, including how coarse the sand for a deep sand bed should be. Oh, so much to learn again :) I was going to use sugars sized sand, but I think that may be out of fashion.

Anyway, its good to be back, and I hope I can find my old friends here.

Welcome to the site and back to hobby.
I think you'll find this to be THE best reef forum on the net.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will keep track of my progress here, and will post pictures as I (hopefully) turn this empty glass box into a beautiul reef.

Back