Hello from Central Texas

cmh6684

Reefing newb
Hello everyone I'm Chrissy,
I have not had a reef tank in a couple years and starting all over fresh. Just bought a 29 gal tank last night and got the sand and salt in it now. Will be getting rocks soon to go in once it clears the clouds from being filled.

Welcome aboard! You may want to wait to put in the sand until you have your rock. It is best to put the rock on the bottom of the tank and pour the sand around it for stability. What are your plans for the tank?

Welcome aboard! You may want to wait to put in the sand until you have your rock. It is best to put the rock on the bottom of the tank and pour the sand around it for stability. What are your plans for the tank?

The sand is already in it as I stated the rocks will have to be put into the sand once I have the money to buy them.

I'm not sure what I want to have in it yet. I know I have some items I want to buy before placing any fish into it.

I want better lighting and some of the items that I had with my last tank that I got rid of a couple years ago.

My son wants to have some "Nemo fish and friends" I'm not sure if I want to go that route with this 29 gal however...

Hello and Welcome!

The rocks should be placed right on the glass bottom to prevent a rockslide when the sand under them shifts over time.

Hello and Welcome!

The rocks should be placed right on the glass bottom to prevent a rockslide when the sand under them shifts over time.

I will move the sand around when I get the rocks right now there is only the sand and I got 2 smaller live rocks which I feel bad for as the sales asst didnt notice a snail on the rock and I dont think he is gonna make it.. :( I live to far away from the store to try and return the snail.

I do not want any live stock until I can get all the rocks I want in it. Our petsmart does not have any base rocks so I have to wait until the locally owned places are open tomorrow hopefully to get some base rock and hopefully a couple better priced live rock.

You can order dry rock which is much cheaper than live rock and after you cycle the tank, it will be live anyways so you have more money for the fun stuff.

IMO the best place to buy dry rock is MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

I will have to check out the 2 local places here in town that I got the rocks from the last time. I just checked out your place and min I can buy at one time is 10 lbs. I need to buy little amounts at a time right now as trying to change jobs.

Welcome to the forum...nothing wrong going slow. Just set the rocks down as well as you can.

It is finally cleared up in the tank today!! The extra snail I got with the LR I have not seen today he buried himself in the sand under the rock so later I will try to check on him see if he is still alive or not.. I will try to get some pictures of the tank today.. It is sitting on my floor for now till I can build the shelf for it.

Hitch hiker snails are tough little buggers....you will think its dead and gone and then a year from now you will have a explosion of little snails and be thinking where did these guys come from...

Back