Hello from Frisco TX

RocketSapp

Reefing newb
Hi all, I am Tim and I live in Frisco Texas which is a suburb in the DFW area. I have never had a saltwater aquarium but it looks like I am heading that way.

I have a 55 gallon tank with African Cichlids which I have had running for about 3 years now. I really enjoy the fish keeping and I want to move towards saltwater now. What got me really wanting saltwater was seeing a Porcupine Puffer and how responsive and expressive they seemed to be. So I started researching them and found that they are not reef safe, not a problem since I was doing it for the fish and not the reef. (I know... I said that on here...) BUT... The more I kept looking into saltwater the more I started to really like the looks of the reef aquariums.

So now I am looking into a reef tank. I think I have found the tank I want to use which is a 75 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump which would be used for a skimmer, live rock and a refugium. Of course I want the live rock up in the display tank first, and the rock in the sump would be good for keeping the water stable. So I may be picking up the tanks this weekend but it will be after Thanksgiving before I can get everything setup.

I am sure that I am going to have plenty of questions so when you see my name pop up on here, just sigh, read the question and then go all the way back to when you first started and answer that basic entry level question. :-)

And I promise, I will not buy or order any fish for the tank until it's fully cycled. :-)

Tim Sapp

Welcome to the site. As you are in the dallas area, you should look into the DFWMAS group. I hope I'm not stepping above any rules mentioning this but the website is dfwmas.org and we have a meeting this evening 7-9 in grapevine.

Welcome to the site. As you are in the dallas area, you should look into the DFWMAS group. I hope I'm not stepping above any rules mentioning this but the website is dfwmas.org and we have a meeting this evening 7-9 in grapevine.

Nope. You are absolutely encouraged to check out your local reef clubs (and any others) on this site.

Thanks for the invite... I think I might actually be able to show up.

Tim

So, Mon Capitane, were you there last night? I went there last night right from work and made the critical error of taking GB\635 over and got caught up in the 121/114 construction. I had planned on getting into the area and grabbing something to eat, but it took me 40 minutes to get there. I got there maybe 5 to 10 minutes before the meeting. (On hindsight, I should have gotten something to eat since the meeting did not start until 7:30 or 7:40)

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the meeting. I did learn quite a bit and it was good to see how coral is fragged to be shared. I also like the idea of the Coral Co-op, but it will be a few months before my tank is ready to start trying to grow out any coral.

Tim

So, Mon Capitane, were you there last night? I went there last night right from work and made the critical error of taking GB\635 over and got caught up in the 121/114 construction. I had planned on getting into the area and grabbing something to eat, but it took me 40 minutes to get there. I got there maybe 5 to 10 minutes before the meeting. (On hindsight, I should have gotten something to eat since the meeting did not start until 7:30 or 7:40)

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the meeting. I did learn quite a bit and it was good to see how coral is fragged to be shared. I also like the idea of the Coral Co-op, but it will be a few months before my tank is ready to start trying to grow out any coral.

Tim

Yea, I was there last night. If you signed up for the dfwmas.org forum, you can add me as a contact, username is the same, moncapitane.

If I had known you were there I would have introduced myself to you. It's always nice to be able to put a face with a name.

I was going to join the club and fill out all the paperwork last night but they did not have anything there for joining the club. I was told that I needed to do that on the DFWMAS web site and pay with PayPal. So, needless to say, I have not done that yet.

Tim

BTW, I did get your PM, but with only five, well now six post, I am unable to reply to you.

Back