Hello from Southwest Florida

messiah023

Reefing newb
This is my 2nd post. It was suggested to me to post in the "introduce yourself" forum, so here I am.
I have had freshwater tanks for quite some time, and purchased a new tank for the family for Christmas 2007. We were going to use this larger tank to upgrade our freshwater friends from their current tank, but decided to go marine.
After much discussions with the LFS, we started our tank January 15.
We have had a fun time adding to the tank over the past month, and now have our starter fish & rock in place.

Here are the details :

30 gallon bowfront, Eheim canister filter, small powerhead for circulation, Coralife Aqualight Deluxe with 1 65w actinic & 1 65W 10,000K lamp.
(2) False Percula Clowns, (1) Starry Blenny, (1) Red Stripe Sleeper Goby, (1) Small Green Colony Polyp Stone.
More to come.....

Now for the pics...

The setup
aquarium.jpg

The liverock
liverock.jpg

The clowns
clowns.jpg

My Blenny hiding in his favorite rock
blenny2.jpg

My Blenny out in full view
blenny1.jpg

Here's Tina, our Sleeper Goby
goby.jpg

I will post more updates when I add some new friends...

Glad to be a part of the forums, hope I have some nice stories and additions soon.

Welcome to the best reefkeeping forum on the net IMO. Your setup looks great nice colors on your liverock.

Everything looks great! How are the Blenny and Goby getting along? I hear they can become territorial to their own kind or other fish that look like them.

Welcome to the reef.Looks like you've got the tank going your way.
What are your plans for the tank?FOWLR or Reef?
Be sure to clean that canister out on a weekly bases or it cause you some water quality problems.It would benefit you tank to add a quality skimmer.
You mentioned that those are your starter fish and rock.I hope you've cycled the tank before adding the blenny and goby at least.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, the tank was cycled about 3 weeks before adding the fish. They seem to be doing great, very happy.
The Goby has setup a little sand/rock labyrinth at the base of the liverock. He tends to stay down there, swimming in and out of the structures. The Blenny has made his home in the various spaces & holes around the top of the rocks. They seem to be getting together very well and share in their favorite diet of mysis shrimp.
I will look into a skimmer setup. The canister seems to be doing a good job so far, water quality is very good with minimal work.
I will be adding some soft corals later down the road and maybe an anemone , but for now we just have the polyps.

I look forward to reading more on this forum, which is definitely a great source with all the knowledgeable people in here.

Sorry to say,But you dont have enough light for anemone.They require 4 watts per gallon as the bare minimum.You have just a tad over 4 watts.
I think you'll be OK with soft corals and maybe a few LPS placed up higher in the tank.

I agree with Yote, pass on the anemone until you can upgrade your lighting. But your setup looks great! Congrats and welcome to Living Reefs.

Back