Hello from the southwest portion of the Sunshine State

Aleta

Reefing newb
I just filled out my registration to join this forum. Pretty quiet place! My experience in salt water aquariums is just at the beginning stage, and I'm hoping to gain some knowledge here.

My decision to go with a salt water tank derived from entertaing a young house guest recently. We began collecting sea life from the water behind our house. Watched the critters in a small specimen tank for a few days. Then decided to take a trip off the island to check out some Aquarium stores. While browsing around, I came across a used tank. I made an offer, and ended up taking the tank home. Filled the tank with water, let it set a few days, added some salt, live sand and some local coral rocks. Have been adding an assortment of crabs and a few fish. I've had it running pretty good for a month now. Today, one of the crabs died, and the others don't seem to be eating. I guess it's time to invest in one of those PH/nitrate gizmo kits. The fish appear to be doing fine. I have a few feather dusters that are doing well also.

I will be on here as much as posible to learn whatever I can, and will probably badger you kind folks with a lot of questions.

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. That's cool that you get to catch you own animals, but beware that with those wild animals, you're introducing all types of diseases and parasites to your tank also. Take your time with stocking because the system has to complete it's cycle and maintain constant levels. Feel free to ask questions if you should have any. :)

I just filled out my registration to join this forum. Pretty quiet place! My experience in salt water aquariums is just at the beginning stage, and I'm hoping to gain some knowledge here.

My decision to go with a salt water tank derived from entertaing a young house guest recently. We began collecting sea life from the water behind our house. Watched the critters in a small specimen tank for a few days. Then decided to take a trip off the island to check out some Aquarium stores. While browsing around, I came across a used tank. I made an offer, and ended up taking the tank home. Filled the tank with water, let it set a few days, added some salt, live sand and some local coral rocks. Have been adding an assortment of crabs and a few fish. I've had it running pretty good for a month now. Today, one of the crabs died, and the others don't seem to be eating. I guess it's time to invest in one of those PH/nitrate gizmo kits. The fish appear to be doing fine. I have a few feather dusters that are doing well also.

I will be on here as much as posible to learn whatever I can, and will probably badger you kind folks with a lot of questions.

If you want action just post that you have a 10 gallon tank that is one week old and you just put in 3 tangs 4 clowns and a sand sifter then sit back and see all the attention you get.
Welcome aboard

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. That's cool that you get to catch you own animals, but beware that with those wild animals, you're introducing all types of diseases and parasites to your tank also. Take your time with stocking because the system has to complete it's cycle and maintain constant levels. Feel free to ask questions if you should have any. :)

Thank you Mr. Smith! It IS quite entertaining to collect them and watch them in the tank! I decided not to invest into any store bought specimens until I've had some experience with what I have collected. I figured that what I have in there would be great while the tank is still cycling. I definitely have concerns about introducing diseases and parasites into the tank. I have a ton of questions, so I guess I'll go to the proper forum and start asking away.

If you want action just post that you have a 10 gallon tank that is one week old and you just put in 3 tangs 4 clowns and a sand sifter then sit back and see all the attention you get.
Welcome aboard

Thank you Tool. Glad to be aboard! I get a feeling the overcrowded 10 gallon set up with aggressive inhabitants would raise a lot of brows!

Welcome to the site Aleta!

Just to add that once you get critters from the wild, do not reintroduce them back, because while you can introduce wild diseases to your tank, the reverse is the same -- you can introduce tank-specific diseases to the wild and cause a wipe out.

First, some tank info, do you have a way to check your salt level? Having a refractometer is a must to make sure your salt levels are just right. Inverts are very sensitive to changes. We suggest you drip-acclimate all your livestock ( https://www.livingreefs.com/acclimation-guide-t491.html ).

Can you post your other parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temperature? Also what specific livestock do you have in there now? We love pics :D

This hobby takes a lot of patience and research. So take things slow, do more research, and you'll have a happy healthy tank :)

Back