Hello, new to the forum

Sibbie

Reefing newb
Hi there fellow tankers,

I am new to the salt water scene. I have had my tank for about 9 months now. I have had my ups and downs. I did't really have all the information I needed when I first set the tank up. I think most of the major things are behind me.

I have a few corals in my tank, sadly I do not know what they are all called. I have set myself up a page with all my photos on it so I can go into my local pet shop and get the details. I do know that one is a Hammer Coral and another is a Frog spawn. Both had started to sting another coral I had so he has had to move!

I have an issue with an orange Whitsunday Star that I have. He seems to be loosing the tips of his arms, and I am at a loss to understand why. I few places I have researched on say they like to feed off live rock but he is never on there. Should I be feeding something else. He doesn't look as happy as he used to be.

I also seem to be getting a lot of grassy looking alge growing one of my live rocks and a few other places. Any tips of what to do?

Look farward to getting to now a few of you around the forum

Sibbie :sfish:

howdy and welcome to the site.. :D
I couldnt see a pic of the whitsunday star and sorry not familiar with it, a pic would be great to help ..

Sorry here is a picture of Frankie! Whitsunday Star.jpg

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Usually, when stars start to lose their arms, that's an indication of high nitrates, especially since you're starting to get algae too. You can supplement their feeding with meaty foods or algae sheets also.

Welcome to the site! I would recommend increasing the amount of water changes you are doing. Make sure you are using RO/DI water and a good quality salt mix.

Hello and Welcome!

Can you list what equipment your tank has and occupants? It will be easier to help you figure out your algae issues if we know what we have to work with :)

Back