Hello, new to the site and saltwater...

jms1026

Reefing newb
Whuts up everyone.

I've seen some nice tanks in the showcase thread. INCREDIBLE. I'll make it short and sweet.

All I have right now is a 30 gallon tank that is empty. I want to do a small reef set up. I have researched live rock so far and a few other things such as live sand, heaters and jets. What I am stumped and have no clue about it filtration besides live rock. What works best with a 30 gallon tank ? I heard canister filters are no good. Would a sump work with a 30 gallon ? Ne help would be great.

hello a sump would work for your tank. you can also use a canister filter but you would need to clean it often a sump would be better you would have to get an overflow box or drill the back of your tank and install a overflow setup www.glassholes.com and get a good skimmer this should be a must and they are expensive for good ones. the last thing you will need is good lights such as t5's or a halide. check into getting some garf grunge if you can afford it.

Last edited:
You can defiantly do a sump. You will need to get a protein skimmer. To have circulation you will need powerheads and Korlia are the best for that. If you do a sump you will have a return pump and return flow into the tank.

Hi and welcome. The most effective form of filtration you can have is a combination of 1 to 2 lbs per gallon of live rock and a good protein skimmer. That in combination with regular water changes is the best way to go, in my opinion.

Protein skimmers are kind of expensive, but there are several good ones that would work well for a tank your size. It will also depend on whether you decide to get a sump or not though, as some skimmer hang on the back of the tank and some are made to go in the sump. Having a sump is always a plus if you have the space for one.

how many powerheads ? its a small tank, so would 1 be enough. Also, I think an overflow box would be better for me(i dont want to drill into my tank and risk ruining it) to go with the sump. Whats the best protein skimmer for a 30 gallon ?

Back