Hello People New And Old

donnyholland

Reefing newb
So I was thinking, I don't really know what kind of aquarium everyone has so I thought I would start a thread to find out. I think its a great way to break the ice and get to know some people here!

So here is your chance to tell everybody what you got or don't got depending I guess hehe. So be as geeky as you want and talk about your aquarium so we all know what you have. If you don't have an aquarium then say I don't have an aquarium and then we at least know and can help you get one heheh..

Okydoky; I'm kinda new to the whole aquarium thing I just dove in about months ago so I'm still a noob..

History: I got my aquarium from someone that was trying to sell his and honestly I got an unbelievable deal. Granted, when I picked up the aquarium the livestock and the water were in pretty bad shape but it cleaned up just fine. Everything went great for the first 4 months and the tank was booming! Then it happened. A month and a half ago I left on vacation and I had a HVAC malfunction and it melted down my whole tank just about so I had to start from scratch almost.. So anyway on to the nerdiness...

Aquarium: 120 gallon Oceanic 2x2x4 tank on an oceanic stand. It has 2 overflows in each corner and is predrilled with 2 holes in each corner.

Light: aqua medic spacelight 48" with 2 250watt hqi bulbs (just ordered 2 phoenix bulbs to put in it) with 2 24 watt power compact actinics.

Sump: 30 gal glass tank (no separation just a plane tank) with skimmer and a few rocks in it. I plan on moving my sump and refugium to the basement in the coming weeks to increase the size and help quiet down the tank (its in my studio)

Refugium: CPR hang on refugium with caulerpa (grape, taxifolia) with the light on 24hours. Hope to get rid of this or turn it into a mangrove area after I move my sump to basement.

Protein Skimmer: Aqua C EV180 with a mag 7 pushing it.

Top Off : Litermeter III with a 30g reservoir in my basement. Its pretty sweet it can pump up 60 feet of head.

Water Change: I was using Oceanic (stay away this stuff sucks) and I just switched to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I have litermeter also set to replace 15 liters of water per day with new salt water. Thats about 4 gallons a day and add up to 21 gallons a week water change done a little bit at a time. I love it and its great to not have to carry buckets up the stairs anymore. :)

Feeding: I am currently feeding spectrum, some flake (don't have alot of fish currently) dosing DT's (till I get my reactors up and running).

Dosing: I am dosing lugols once a week for iodine, Spectra Vital/Black Powder (not sure if this is something I will keep doing), Super Buffer DKH ( will stop this once I get a calc reactor.

Well that just about does it for now but I am setting up a 54 gal softy tank tomorrow for my wife and I will post those specs when I get it put together.:^:

/donny

I have 4 tanks, 125 fresh, 2-55s sitting empty atleast one soon to be salt, and a 30 salt, no refugium,skimmer seaclone 100 and prizim deluxe, lighting is 2x96 pc's, 1 hob filter. In the 30 I have 2 clowns, 1 damsel, 1 oyster I think, a few corals, 10lbs live rock, and 20 base, 1 chacolate chip star, and some hermits and snails.

When I set up my 55 I hope to build it in the wall in my living room, add a css125 and t-5s and make it a reef, refugium will be somewere between a 10 to a 55, I will also be drilling it and diy'ing a overflow. If I dont sell my 125 I will scrap the 55 and turn the 125 into a fowlr just because I know I'll never talk the wife into letting me buy the lights for it.

30 gallon coral with two maroon clowns in 1-2 weeks I will have my first 125 and a 55 both will be reef tanks eventually :)
my corals consist of softies and sps.

Last edited:
JellyMan said:
30 gallon coral with two maroon clowns in 1-2 weeks I will have my first 125 and a 55 both will be reef tanks eventually :)
my corals consist of softies and sps.

Actually it's a 29 gallon not a 30. At least thats what the tag said when I bought.

I have a ten gallon planted fresh- loaded with cryptocoryne of several variteties that were micropropagated at UF (that's right, good at football, basketball, and aquaria). One of my previous tanks was actually a S.American Cichlid tank that was exclusively stocked from the drainage ditches around Gainesville. Imagine my surprise when I walked out of the student union and saw Jack Dempseys and Convicts swimming in a holding pond.

As of yesterday, I have a 30 gallon salt that is empty (just filled it). I will be getting some live rock to seed it shortly. Also should have a refugium and better lighting soon.

Last edited:
92 gallon Oceanic Corner with custom build stand and canopy.
22 gallon custom acrylic sump

Equipment:
MRC MR-2R skimmer driven by a blueline 55
GEO 618 Calcium Reactor
MRC Nilsen Reactor Modified to be pump driven
MRC Fluid Media Chamber
JBJ 1/5 HP Chiller
AquaController JR with DC8
Tunze Osmolator topoff
Tunze 7095 controller
2 6100 Tunze power heads
2 250 watt HQI DE halides with 14k Pheonix bulbs
3 24 inch VHO actinic supplements
Iwaski 70 Main system pump
2 4" variable controlled Ice Cap fans.

Think thats about it.
Brandon

I hate to be the one to follow Brandon. :grumble: He has such an impressive equipment list!! And mine is so minimalistic. Oh well.

75 not drilled
seaclone 150 skimmer - emp 400 bio-wheels removed - magnum 350 with phosphate media - seio 820 and maxi 1200 - 440 watts vho's

About 90lbs of LR - pair gold stripe maroon clowns hosting a large green bubble tip nem - flame angel - dwarf zebra lion fish - snow flake eel - reef chromis.

large spaghetti leather, favia, torch, hammer, various zoas, green & orange monti cap, tri colored rics, hydnaphora and purple tip digitata

58 oceanic RR With sump

seaclone 100 skimmer - rio 1600 return pump - 60 lbs LR - I plan on adding some more power heads for movement - 175 mh hamilton 14k bulb 2 no actinic bulbs - I plan to upgrade to some 24" vho's when the canopy is completed.

Various acan frags, zoas, blastos and frogspawn - plan on adding more lps SOON!!

one lonely fish - scooter blennie. I plan on adding a purple fire fish, maybe some other small peaceful fish and either royal gramma or fridmani's pseudochromis after building a canopy for the tank.

Guess I might as put my 2 cents worth in to.
30 gal running 2 emp-400s
seaclone 125
2-medium sized power heads that came with the tank
1 penguin 1140 power head
192 watt coralife PC
It got between 30 and 40 lbs of rock,,most of that was dead live rock that came with tank. and a mix of CC and LS ( never do that again)

will add more on the 55 im setting later

salt newbie01 said:
I hate to be the one to follow Brandon. :grumble: He has such an impressive equipment list!! And mine is so minimalistic. Oh well.

If you didn't have kids you could have a set up like his too. You could always think of it like this: you got the equipment for kids, hes got the equipment for fish.

jermpool said:
If you didn't have kids you could have a set up like his too. You could always think of it like this: you got the equipment for kids, hes got the equipment for fish.

ROFLMAO!!!!! Very funny!! Are you implying that we have some compensation going on??!!! :mrgreen: j/k brandon!!

is it my turn yet?
Well I currently have a AGA 120 reefready. with dual megaflows.
Filtration - 40 gallon custom sump, ETSS 800 super skimmer with 1 gallon waste container, dual Mag 950s for return pumps, phosban reactor, CPR Aquafuge (24") with DSB and 10 mangroves, 3/4" seaswirl fed from a return, Dual 1/2' closed loop inputs mounted in the front corners of the tank. wavemaster pro

Fish - Purple tang, scopas tang, regal tang, Large ocellaris clown, small ocellaris clown, Skunk clown, large green chromis, small green chromis, Pair of Ventralis anthias (my favorite), chalk basslet, sailfin algae blenny, tail spot blenny.

Inverts - Orange linkia star, Blue linkia star, sand sifting star, Brittle stars, 2 fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, lots of snails and a few scarlet crabs.

lighting - dual 250 watt halides, dual VHOs, PHO spider light reflector with vhos built in, 2 Icecap moon lights.

Corals - Green with blue polyps capricornis, lime green capricornis, brown with a purple rim capricornis, bright orange capricornis, purple capricornis, yellow turbinia, large green nepthia tree, orange tri colored ricordia, large trumpet candy colony, neon green candy cane, not so neon green candy cane, butten candy cane, purple tip acropora, 3 other colonys of acro that currently arnt color identified (working on that), green pacilipora?, 2 large colonies of green tipped hammer, large amounts of green with pink tip frogspawn, green star polyps, neon green star polyps, purple gorgonia, green fungia plate, long tenicle green fungia plate tree ( very neat), large Green blasto merletti colony, red with white center and green mouth blasto merletti colony, dark drown with green center blasto merletti, gray with green center blasto merletti, solid orange blasto welsi, pastel red with green center welsi, red with white specles welsi, maroon with solid green center welsi, maroon with green ring welsi, brown with green ring welsi, green acan lord with puple ring (Liqorish, non indo), purple with green ring micromussa (SniperSPS), red with white streaks micromussa (love and hate, DR), green micromussa (mean green jendub), green with red center micromussa (douhnuts), red with white ring and red center with green star micromussa (randyO), large candy cane acan lord, 10 other different acan lord colonies of no lineage, multi color acan echinata (orange crush?), brown with green center acan echinata, purple with pink center acan echinata, maxima clam (imbedded in a rock), derasa clam, pink chalice, red with white stripe and green mouth chalice (reefermadness), red with white mouth meat coral, large green fuzzy mushroom, Zenia rock, Anathelia rock, silver sea rod, assorted mushrooms and zoos, PPEs.

ill move downstairs later and make a list of all my equipment!:shock: :mrgreen:

20 gallon all glass, 25# live rock, 20# live sand, 2 hob filters, 1 power head, seaclone100 protein skimmer, 130watt power compact lighting.

2 pepperment shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 queen conch
2 red leg hermits
1 chromis (reef)
10 turbo snails
pumping xenia
cabbage coral

This is it for right now, adding a little at a time.

Back