hello there

reefer2b

Reefing newb
It's been quite some time since I've had a SW aquarium (over 15 years) It was a 55G with an UGF, abd 2 power heads. I had crushed coral for substrate, basically that is all they had, had a few pieces of coral for decoration. I had a large lion fish, an octopus and a snowflake eel. Needless to say they each had their own corner of the tank. After moving it 3 times and not wanting to move it a 4th I gave it to a friend.
Now that I have a 3 year old that loves fish, I'm thinking of getting into it again. I'm not sure if I want to do a reef or FOWLR system yet. Only thing I do know is that we HAVE to get Nemo, I've told her Dory is a maybe depending on what size tank we get. I know she'd actually rather have Dory but I don't know if I want another 55G or larger tank.
Well I'm going back to reading and trying to decided what I want to do.

Hi and welcome. You will definitely need a tank larger than 55 for a hippo tang (Dory). They will just get stressed and die in a tank that small.

Good to hear that you are wanting to get back into the hobby. I bet a lot has changed. UGFs are a no no for saltwater nowadays, and aragonite sand is a much better substrate than crushed coral. With enough live rock (1 to 2 lbs per gallon) and a good protein skimmer, you will have ample filtration.

welcome to the forum. We look forward to your questions, comments, and of course, pictures

-Doc

I read somewhere, after many forums I don't remember which, that at a minimum Dory would need a 55g. I don't know that I've room for anything much bigger. My daughter would be happy with Nemo & Marlin, (she can't leave dad out.
All I can say is Yippeee for no more UGF!!!

if you have room for a 55 gallon, you have room for bigger. Regal tangs need 90 or bigger IMO. If a 55 gallon is 4 ft long, I would go with the widest tank you can - 75, 90 even 120 can be found in 4 ft lengths. If space is really an issue, go with as big as you can, but shop around before deciding. It always seems like the bigger you go the less you regret it over time.

Tangs just get too big for smaller systems. they need a lot of open space to swim to keep from getting stressed out and getting Ich and then dying, or worse, taking everything in the tank with them. Good luck with the decision!!!

-Doc

But, with a larger tank that's just taller not wider wouldn't that still give the fish less swimming room? Unfortunately I don't have a lot of wall space in my house and most likely the tank will be in the bedroom.

most 55 gallons are 12 inches thick. a bigger tank gets to be about 18 inches, which gives more swiming room. they do get taller as well, but to about 24 inches. a 120 is 24 inches thick, which gives room to swim. it may be too much of a jump from a 55 to a 120, but a 90 may be reasonable in that space, 4 ft by 18 inches by 24 tall.

-Doc

Welcome to reef.
Like Biff and Doc stated,post any questions you got.All we ask for in return is pictures.

Back