Hello to everyone... and i need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reagan001

Reefing newb
Im really excited to join this forum. Im relitavely new to the hobby and im looking forward to getting help with some questions that i cant seem to get answered from the local fish store. Heres my problem.... i had a 54 gallon corner that i bought from another guy who had it established for 3 years, i had it over a year putting it established at almost 5 years. I recently (about 3 weeks ago) setup a 265 gallon tank with 75 gallon refugium. i moved everything from my 54 corner into this tank (70lbs live rock, bio balls, water, etc) also purchased 60 more pounds of live rock (putting me at 130lbs total), 100lbs live sand (40lbs in 265 and 60lbs in refugium). i was told by the saltwater store owner that i would not need to cycle the tank cause it will already be established after moving everything from other tank, so i put everything from my 54 gallon straight into the 265 and everything was doing great... then... i went and bought 350lbs of live rock from a guy who was breaking down his tank. the rock seemed to be fine, didnt have much growth on it but definately didnt smell like anything was dead or dying on it so i thought it was safe to put in my tank straight way and that is what i did. That was about 5 days ago and since then all my fish have got ich, 3 have died and 2 more look like they are about to go, all my corals seem to be doing fine and my anemone seems fine, which i cant understand how fish would die but corals would be fine or maybe they are about to go and i dont know it. all my water peremeters are good but my skimmer is pumpin out the black stuff right now... so i dont know what is going on, i dont know what i should do and the guys at the local fish store just want my money and could care less to help me figure this out so im hoping to get some help here. I thank you for any help you can give me and sorry for such a long post.

Welcome to the reef,You've come to the right place for information.
What exactly are your parameters?Knowing the actual numbers will go a long in being able to help you get your problem figured out.
Also,Ick wont effect the corals.Its a fish only parasite.

welcome to the site. first off if the LFS only wants the money and doesnt want to help then i suggest finding a new one. second off ich is a stress related disease so i think all the fish might have caught it by the very rapid change that occurred for them

Hi Reagan welcome to the forum. Like Yote said it's easier to determine with a list of your parameters. I'm assuming you've upgraded your skimmer to accomodate such a large volume of biomatter. It is odd that your inverts aren't affected by whatever is killing your fish. Thats way out of my leauge but there are certainly people here who can help. Good Luck.

First, welcome to the site. Nice to have you here.

The rock, while cured, may have started a mini-cycle that stressed the fish. That is a lot of additional rock. However, like Yote mentioned, you need the parameters to tell for sure. Good luck with everything.

salinity = 1.023
ammonia = 0
PH = 8.6 (actually 8.6 is the highest test reads so it may be higher)
Nitrates = 0
Nitrites = 0
Alkalinity = 2.7 - 3.0
Phosphates = 0.30 (they were at 0.50 phosolock is bringing them down)
Temp = 74-76 (we recently had extremely cold temps over nite the past couple days and the heaters couldnt keep up temp dropped to 71). cause my sump is in garage doesnt stay as warm as house.
calcium = 380

The biggest problem I see is your PH.8.6 is too high.You'll either need to do some water changes to bring down,or you can inject CO2 into the system.

I'm going to close this thread. Please reply to the other (identical) one that was also started. Duplicate threads = bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back