Hello to you all

ibefishy

Reefing newb
My name is Nate and I am new to this site and reef keeping. I have had freshwater fish for about 12 years and wanted to change things up a bit and thought a reef tank would be really cool. I have been doing a lot research online and have seen some incredible tanks and have read some pretty horrible stories of things going awry. But I am not to be deterred. I am sure you will see I have many questions to ask and I will do a search before I ask them. I look foreward to getting my reef up and going although I know it will be many months before it is. I am currently waiting for my new stand to come in then it is off to drill my tank (acrylic) and start this project. I plan on taking lots of pics along the way and may even post some of the progress. If anyone sees anything that I may be doing incorrectly or have any suggestions I would like to hear them. I would rather change something while I can than have the feeling of I should of done it this way. Thats enough of me.

Nate

Hello and welcome! When you start setting stuff up, be sure to start a tank build thread in the Tank Showcase forum, so we can see your progress as you go along. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. I'm glad you are starting your research before you start your tank, that will save you money and lots of trouble.

Hello Nate,welcome to the site.Good luck on your first reef tank.
We are all here to help,feel free to ask any questions you have.

Hello nate.
Welcome to the reef,
you will find that this site is as addicting as the hobbie it's self.

feel free to post any questions and pictures.

More and bigger tanks, more and bigger pumps, more circulation, stronger lights, bigger skimmer, controllers, kalkwasser, test kits and, and, and More, More, More.......Oh hello! I like bigger and more as you'll see. Just my opinions and experiences, dreams and hope. I don't do rules too well.

Nate, I noticed in your photo gallery you were mocking up some overflow boxes. If you do not consider it unethical, look at the glass-holes.com site. They have engineered and hydro flow tested overflow boxes with different dimensions and different bulkhead sizes for different flow rates. Their notches are all 1/4" wide so easily made with a router. They show dimensions and bulkhead sizes for each of their designs. The adventure is a private venture owned and operated by a mechanical engineer who is a reef keeper. He answers emails 7 days a week and even worked on a three piece custom job for me over the holidays and did excellent and reasonably priced work. Your doing great work but your box seems over sized for a 65 gallon tank, unless you want to use a 2" bulkhead. Thats over 1200 gallons per hour potential. I double up my overflow potential though (I believe in redundancy). I use an overflow rated at 2500-3500 gallons per hour for my 120 gallon tank, but only flow 1100-12000 gph through it, as I have only a 40 gallon sump. I make up my other circulation with external circulation pumps in dedicated circuits. It is nice to see someone going straight to through the wall overflows instead of fooling around with over the wall units.

Welcome to the site, I am sure you will find the people friendly and the advice sound. I too am new to the reef aquarium and the folks here have been above and beyond helpfull in setting up my first tank, and they continue to put up with all the silly questions I have as a newbie to the hobbie....again welcome and enjoy your time here....PS posting pics seems to be some what of an addiction for the folk here on LR, I suggest you post lots!

Back