Hello

Patrick76

Reefing newb
Hey im new to this form. I have had a planted freshwater tank for 6 years. I am thinking on converting it to saltwater what is the first place where I should look to start geting converted over? I have a 29 gallon tank with a canister filter and a 130 watt current USA light. What other eqip do I need also?

Welcome to the reef. I would recommend you go to the article section of this site and read as much as you can. To start off with you'll need LR, sand, salt and ro water. As for live rock 1-2 pound per gallon is recommended. If your on a budget you can buy some base rock and seed it with live rock. You'll have to cycle the tank. Do not use fish to do this. All you need to do is ghost feed or add a shrimp (the type you eat) to start the cycle. You'll also need a good protein skimmer. As for lights most get T5's but it depends on if your doing a fish only with live rock or a reef tank. My advice is to know what type of tank you want and do lots of research. If in doubt ask.

Read as much as you can and do research before you get started.

#1 rule is to be patient.

oh and welcome to the forums.

I am really new to this site also i have been in the saltwater fish hobby off an on for 5 yrs. All i can suggest is to do alot of research on this and ask alot of questions a good website to get you started is Petwhse.com to get you started. Good Luck!!

So I mainly need just a skimmer and the chemicals to start right? Where is a good article on chemicals and how to start them for a 29 gallon tank. Reef only with fish when cycle is over I guess.

no chemicals are necessary. you need to break down that freshwater tank and put live rock and sand. preferrably some live sand too and let that thing sit in salt water. the cycle will happen all on its one no chemicals involved. now the thing is you really should look into a skimmer immediately. it is very important to have on during the cycle. this will help to prevent some of the initial algae breakout.

oh and welcome to the forum! :beerchug:

People mostly use sand.

I dont know where a good article is on making salt water but you should use RO/DI water for your tank.

you shouldnt need any chemicals, just live rock, sand, and water. crushed coral has no purpose in saltwater tanks. when mixing saltwater you wanna aim for a specific gravity of 1.025-1.026 or 35ppm. to achieve this take five gallons of ro or ro/di water and mix 2 1/2 cups of marine salt mix and then let it rest for atleast 30 minutes but a day is best, once it has set and all the salt is mixed in the water you need to measure it with a hydrometer or preferably a refractometer

Last edited:
Should i cycle with fish in the tank, i don't think i should but i read on a article on here when i need to have some fish to cycle. Also what kind of sand should i use for my sand bed and should it be a normal sand bed or a deep sand bed?

Also what is ro water? How much live rock and sand should i use for my 29 gallon tank? One day i want to be able to get coral in my tank also once i get my tank going for a while.

Last edited:
Back