Hello

SeaBee

Ha Ha Thats Funny!
I just joined a little while ago so I'd like to say hello and post a question.

I have had a tropical tank for 20 yrs, just recently switched to salt, I've been wanting to do this for years, but thats another story.

I have a 55 with 2 ehiem 2215 in each corner, and a protien skimmer, all working well. All my parameters are ok, tested at the fish store. I have had it up for 8 weeks, live rock, live sand, all looks good. We have about 8 fish, all small, 2 clowns, 4 green chromies, and a coral beauty. I have been slowly adding soft corals, a mushroom, etc. I also just bought a fancy light, 2 white, 2 blue, and moon, looks great.

The problem is that I have all this white sruff that looks like dandruff floating around, real bad, like snow on all the rock and things. The ehiems are running mostly charcoal and floss, the guy at the fish store said the rock would be the filter and use these for circulation, whick works great.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance...

The Bee from the Sea.

welcome in the water is fine. As far as the snow in your tank. Could it be undissolved salt? I would think the ehiems would filter it out. Is it there all the time? Also you said your tank was 8 weeks old. Do your self a favor and slow down. Thats alot of fish for such a new tank. Mine has been running since the end of February and I dont have as much in my tank. Running salt tanks you have to do everything super slow. I ran fresh for a long time also and it is a hard adjustment. Back to the snow issue have you been cleaning the canisters? Very few people run canister in marine tanks. I do mainly because My tank is a weird shape so the stand is a weird shape so I cant fit a sump. However I clean my canister weekly. When I clean mine I get a little bit of "snow" when I set it back up. However it clears up in about a hour. I think what I get is coming out of the lines.

Thanks for the reply, I know I should slow down but I have been looking at the same angel for years and he finally died so I got to convert to salt!

I do not think the stuff is undissolved salt, It seems to be coming off the live rock.

All the lines are pretty clear, it just flys around like a snowglobe! I cleaned one canister last night, and tonight the other, reloading with charcoal and a lot off floss to try and catch this stuff.

You are probably right. New rock has die off. How much flow are you getting off of those canisters? The 2215 is 164 gph if I remember right. What type of skimmer are you using. Let say if its a hob maybe 200 gph. so 528 gph in a 55 about 10 times turn over. I would think you should get a couple of K-1 Power heads and get your flow up. That would differently get those rocks cleaned off.

Thanks, I have two eheims, running 164 gph each, and one korilla? 200 I think, and the skimmer is a Remora c with a pump of 295 gph, so I totalled just the pumps to 623 gph, or 11 turns per hour of the tank, plus the Korilla blowing across the back of the tank length right on the rocks. Looks like a snowglobe I'm telling you. Wont the eheims build bacteria? I'm not sure if the stuff is landing on the rocks, or coming off of them.

I do appreciate the answers here.

If any of you need heating or cooling advice for your home let me know, I can return the favor!

Thanks, I have two eheims, running 164 gph each, and one korilla? 200 I think, and the skimmer is a Remora c with a pump of 295 gph, so I totalled just the pumps to 623 gph, or 11 turns per hour of the tank, plus the Korilla blowing across the back of the tank length right on the rocks. Looks like a snowglobe I'm telling you. Wont the eheims build bacteria? I'm not sure if the stuff is landing on the rocks, or coming off of them.

I do appreciate the answers here.

If any of you need heating or cooling advice for your home let me know, I can return the favor!
yes but they become nitrate factories if you dont clean them. Let the rock do your bio filtering. The canisters can get physical stuff out and run your carbon.

The white stuff looks like dandruff, best I can explin it, and I never had dandruff, but I have seen it on others. If I disturb the rock it flys off of them, and I see little strands coming off the rock. I just put the other ehiem online and it looks a little better in there, I will check back in the am.

Time for a little Deadliest Catch and sleep.

Happy weekend all!

Hello and welcome to the site...are you adding any suppliments to your tank like calcium or something? What type of salt do you use and whats your salt/salinity level?

Hey Smitty, salinity is 1.023, I added a shot of liquid calcium the other day, the fish store said my calcium was low for the corals. It just looks like white particles floating around, not small critters. I did a two gallon water change last night and I am just waiting now to see. Does ich look like this in the free floating form? Thanks again all.

Welcome aboard SeaBee.
I'll bet what your seeing are the small particles that gets blown off the live rock.Then there are quiet a few small critters that could account for what your seeing.
Just a couple of tips.
Bring your salinity on up to 1.025-.026 Thats closer to NSW.
Also pick yourself up a calcium test kit along with alkalinity and magnesium.

welcome to LR

Dan Akroyd to John B on the way back to Chicago in a little know movie from 1980, The Blues Brothers.

Did I pass?

Will bring the salinity up gradually today.

Also, what is the best temperature for the tank, I hear all conflicting reports on this.

Back