Hello

Welcome to the site, Jenna! Are you a fellow 110 tall tanker?
That is a terrible string of events you had happen, I'm sorry to hear it.
I'm really surprised your inverts weathered the salinity changes better than the fish, usually they're very sensitive to salinity changes. BTW, great looking donut! I'm sure I speak for all of us in saying let's see some more tank shots!
Good luck with your dripping...

My tank is 4 feet long so I dont know if that is considered a tall tank or not lol.

I am going to be testing my alkaline in the tank because that is what someone else thinks may have caused the sudden deaths.

My clownfish is still alive.

Jenna

Can you reach the sand with your fingers? If not, it's a tall lol.
I don't really see how the alkalinity could cause fish death, it's not something I've heard of personally, anyway...

It is definately a tall then because I have to stand on a chair to even reach over the top and then I cannot even come close to touching the bottom.

Everything is still testing out fine. Which makes the sudden deaths still a complete mystery to me.

I still dont think that the drop in salinity by 3-4 points should have killed everyone over 18 hours after I did the water change.

Oh well live and learn.

I will post some pics of my tank in the photo section when I had tons of corals (majority of which I have returned or traded for other larger corals) and it looked great.

Jenna

PS. All of my corals and my 1 clownfish and my serpent star are still alive.

Hi Jenna, I got here late, but I am glad to hear that things seems to be going better for you. I am sorry to read of the troubles you had earlier, but hang in there. As you said this hobby goes this way some times. Stick with this forum, you will learn a lot and can always count on getting good advice.

I've had sudden, unintended drops in salinity and they never caused a big die-off like that. I'll bet there was an ammonia spike. I've had test give me bad readings too.

Some people I know in the hobby think that the drop wasnt drastic enough to cause death the way it did.

The way the fish were all dead with their mouthes open and that it happened so quickly makes me believe that there was a drastic spike in something but when I tested that it was literally barely reading on the tests.

I have tested the water again and brought it to someone else who has a different brand of test kit and my nitrites read slighlty high but nothing significant that should cause instant death.

The whole thing is a mystery and my 1 remaining clown is doing great and is just staying in the frogspawn.

Jenna

I know I'm late, but hello and welcome...sorry to hear about your fish and your troubles...I don't know much about your tank, but the first thing that came to my mind was how is your oxygen level in your tank. You said the fish were dead with their mouths open, maybe they suffocated. Do you have any powerheads rippling the top of the water to give you good gas exchange? That's probably why the inverts and corals made it, but the fish didn't...:dunno:

Back