Hello!

Welcome to Living Reefs!

A sump is something to think about after you've gotten familar with saltwater systems.Over one pound per gallon of live rock,a good protein skimmer and a couple of powerheads/circulation pumps is all that's needed-like others have already mentioned.The most common sump designs are the three chamber types.One chamber for the protein skimmer,refugium section and a return section.Great for hiding unsightly equipment and as a natural nitrate reduction--i.e. refugium.

Welcome to the site. I agree with everyone here. Sumps are better. Now its just a matter of budget and space. If you have no room for a sump then you have to get creative. There are hob fuges and such. As far as rock if you bought some live rock you can use base rock also. The base rock will become live in a few months time and will save you money. Also take into account that if you are going to be setting up a reef, some corals come attached to rock so leave some room for it. Your biggest expense will be rock and lights. There are options on lights look around and ask questions. You dont have to drop a grand on lights if you dont want to. As far as the canister and hob filter they will work you just have to clean them often. At least once a week if not more. Most people wont do that and end up with problems. I have a hob filter on my tank right now that I run empty. I just use it for flow. I also have a canister filter that I clean every Sunday. I am working on setting up a sump, however I have some major space issues. Have fun with the tank and go slow nothing good happens fast in marine tanks. :D

a refractometer would be better as it is much more accurate. most hydrometers have about a 6month shelf life. it's a good $40 investment for your tank.

I agree with everyone as well..just a few thing's to keep in mind, #1 go slow ,pick a direction., that will let you know (what will be the biggest exspence of all ) your choice in LIGHTING.you will soon find out as I did the sky's the limit on that baby. #2 what worked for someone else might not work for you, take advise as a place to start.. #3 your LFS is there to make $$ don't assume.. and finally THIS IS A HOBBY,you can read every post,magizine,and book there is and not know everything. take it easy and you will love seeing your own progress. glad to have you aboard post some pic's :Cheers:

Back