Hello,

jen_1122

Reefing newb
Well, just picked up a hand me down aquarium with some really great stuff (from what i've been told). We have a few freshwater; 1.5 gallon with a smaller fish (not sure the breed, a gift for my boys from auntie) and some live plants; a 10 gallon with a couple of goldfish and a peco with some live plants; and the new aquarium is (I believe) a 27 g. Sea Clear hex. tank. I will list all the rest as I go. I would love to turn this into a reef tank. But, i'm still reading up on what's best and that's why i'm here. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thank you soo much. I've been doing alot of reading here and am getting more excited about our tank. Our LFS has given some info, but i've gotten so much more from you guys already. They said they would test our water for us, but I think that this is something I would like to know for myself.
Yes, i'm working on some pics ;) . She's not much to look at right now, but hopefully soon.

You should always have your own test kits, the LFS always uses dip tests which can be unreliable. When you get yours make sure to get the drip tests.
Good Luck!

Thanks, I didn't much like the idea of relying on them for my testing so I have done some checking and I think i've found one that you might be talking about. It's the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit, does that sound about right?

That's the one that most people (including myself) use. eventually when you get corals you can get the reef master kit, or just add calcium, alkalinity, and phosphates.

Haha, we have had our live rock in my new tank for about 2 weeks now and we transfered a crab and a couple of snails to the new tank and I was checking on them and I noticed part of the rock moving, aparently we had a tag along with the rock. Found a crab tucked into one of the holes of the rock and is very well blended. Sorry, but my little tag along was kind of an exciting find for me :D . I'm not sure what he is and couldn't see enough of him to get a good look. But, he's about the size of a dime with a dark shell, kind of spider looking. But, then he ran back into his cave. lol. Was wondering if anyone has any idea's on what this guy could be. I'm sorry I couldn't give a better description. I'm also guessing he's/she is living off of the live rock? I haven't put any food whatsoever into this tank. So, do you think he's fine with the algae in the tank:question:

Oh, and I think he has what looks like fur on his legs.

Last edited:
Google sally lightfoot crab. Those guys are spider-like, but not hairy. Does it look like that?

I don't "think" so. I'm still thinking mabye the emerald. Mabye. lol

I was looking at the October POTM thread and found 2 pics that look alot like this guy. The pics were by: Pwny and Hiker4twenty on page 2.

Last edited:
prolly an emerald crab :)

emerald crabs have hairy like legs that help them blend in good, along with circular suction cup shaped pincers. Green or if red it could be a red Mithrax crab (Similar in nature)

They like to hide =P but are great CUC, picking at the rock and removing algae etc.

Great addition if so!

Back