hello

pod

Reefing newb
Just wanted to introduce myself as a newcomer to this addictive hobby... I inherited a 40 gal acrylic tank along with an ECLIPSE hood/lights (40watts)/biowheel, and UGF with a powerhead. I've set up the tank about 4.5 months ago, cycled it with 30 lbs of LR and a blue damsel. I returned the damsel after about 5 weeks, and got a maroon clown and a firefish. I also noticed, that few mushrooms tagged along with my liverock, and seeing them flourish (amazing), I got few more. I recently added a small yellow tang and a small flame angel.

After reading and talking to local people, I realized that I need a skimmer, so I've ordered the Aqua C remora (on its way). I'm getting mixed info about the biowheel and the UGF.

I also realize that I should upgrade my lighting if I want to add corals (i'm going to stay with soft corals). Any suggestions???

pod

Welcome to the group. Sounds like you have a nice setup over there - I'd love to see pictures.

Defintely remove the undergravel filter. Those aren't even good for freshwater tank. I'm annoyed that any store even sells them. They just suck all the nasties down into the substrate but don't remove it from your system.

There is a big, never ending debate when it comes to filtration. Some will say you need a refuge, some bio balls, some just water movement and lots of live rock. Personally - I have a minimalistic setup for filtration. Lots of live rock, skimmer and a canister filtration system.

I'd recommend removing the bio-wheel and just using the filter without it. It should still do great as long as there is enough water movement in combination with live rock.

As a general rule of thumb - you are good with your lights for just fish. I'd recommend replacing the bulbs if you have not already. While the lights might still be on - they might not be doing anything really worthwhile.

For corals - lighting will depend really on what you want to keep. Certain corals will do good in certain lights. What would you like your tank to have in it?

Hello and welcome to the site. I would get rid of the bio wheels and th UG they will lead to excess nitrates.The yellow tang will deffinetly get too big for a 40 gal.

I agree with everything said above -- UGFs are a big no-no for saltwater tanks. And like Bobby said, the tang will get stressed in a tank that size. They need lots of room to swim. As for lighting, you have 3 main choices: T5s, metal halides, or PCs. Metal halides being the best, you can keep anything and everything under them, T5s being the middle of the road as far as cost and what you can keep, and PCs generally being the last choice. You can find a lot of info in the Helpful Articles section above.

Welcome to the site.I agree with what everyone else said.Remove the UGF and just have a 2-3'' sandbed and skimmer.I would double the live rock you have now also.The live rock and skimmer is all the filtration you will need.

Sounds like every ones got you covered..... How long did it take you too catch that damsel? Did you have to use a hook and line or dynamite?

thanks for the reply everyone... first, i was pretty lucky with catching the damsel because, he loved to hide out in one piece of live rock, so once he jumped in there, i put a net over the hole, and he had no place to go ( as i started to lift the rock out of the water).

i will definitely get rid of the biowheel and the ugf.

as for the type of corals that i'd like to add.... i'm going to stick with the "beginner" corals... my concern with some of these lights (ie MH), is that they may require a chiller for the smaller tank. (i've already spent a little over the anticipated budget). i'll post some pics tonight.

depending what you want - Power Compact lights will do just fine. They also are a much more reasonable price as well.

hello and welcome!!..enjoy the site!!.. i think those compacts will do great..i have the coralife t-5 dayligth/actinic you can check those too, and they are cheap...remember to post pics soon!!

DSC_0015.jpg

Can someone explain the whole concept of watts/gallon for lighting? I understand that corals need more light. But T5s that I have looked at are only around 100 watts (how is that enough for my tank?). Shouldn't the "requirement" be stated in lumens?

Watts per gal is kinda of a bad rule, but it can be helpful at times with certain kinds of lights. With T-5's you dont need as much watts because they give off more light. I'm sure 100 watts you could keep mant corals but I dont know how good it would be for higherlight needing inverts, I'll let someone with more experience with T-5's answere that one for you, but for softys it will work just fine.

Can someone explain the whole concept of watts/gallon for lighting? I understand that corals need more light. But T5s that I have looked at are only around 100 watts (how is that enough for my tank?). Shouldn't the "requirement" be stated in lumens?

You can't really go by watts per gallon especially with T5.Without getting technical and I'm by know means a lighting expert,it something to do with PAR value,efficiently.Lets put it this way that Nova 96w T5-HO fixture is light years better than that 130w PC fixture.I'm and many of us here are keeping just about every kind of corals including SPS and clams.I'm keeping SPS now,and they are growing well but I don't consider it a complete success unless I can keep then longterm,say a year,but its a good start.

Back