Hello

Nasoguy118

Reefing newb
Hi everyone I've been browsing the forum for awhile and I have learned so much. I have a 110 gal dt with a 40 gal sump/ fuge I have about 40lbs of live rock in the tank now and about 100lbs of live sand. I intend on adding another 100lbs of live rock. The tank has been up for about 3 months I have a lyretail anthias and a chromis. The tank is very green as my nitrates are high at about 7ppm so I don't want to post any pics yet please chime in with any tips. Thanks

Welcome to the site...I guess the standard questions are in order. Are you using ro/do water? A skimmer? Refugium? What is the filtration since with such a small amount of rock in a big tank you dont have much in the way of bio filtration? Its great and a completely correct idea to add 100 lbs of rock. Once that gets bacteria living in it, your tank will look much better. If the water is green....I would 1 cut back on how much you feed 2 run a skimmer 3 run some carbon filtration. 4 cut back on the length of time the lights are on. Speaking of lights ....what do you have? Is this a reef tank or a fowlr?

I really am glad to have you on the forum....we can get this worked out and make your tank beautiful.

Thanks. I am using tap water now but will start doing water changes with RO/DI. The skimmer is homemade because I only have about 21" in the bottom of my stand but it's working we'll pulling out lots of green water I'm wet skimming per my lfs recommendation on the green tank. I do have a refugium with macro algae and I just added 2 lbs of rock rubble. Bio filtration I have bio balls but I am planning on replacing them a little at a time with the rubble. Lighting is just two 36" two bulb t12 fixtures with about 110 watts all together. so it's going to be a FOWLR tank until I can upgrade my lighting.

Welcome to the site...I think regular water changes with ro/di water will eliminate the green coloring and nitrates. That green water is more than likely a bacteria algae bloom.

Welcome aboard! Depending on how much you're feeding, cutting back may not be the best option. Anthias need fed a small amount a few times daily. The tap water is probably your culprit with the algae. 7ppm is not that bad on nitrates, and phosphate tests can be very misleading.

Very true on the Anthia. If I read correctly it is one fish, so very small amounts of food. It seems that you are on the right track. It will just take time to get everything in line. Unfortunately nothing good happens fast in marine tanks, even fixes. Totally agree with little fish on the marco rocks.

Thanks everyone for all the help I ran the skimmer hard last night and emptied the cup about 8 times and its a lot better but I still have to fix the problem and I'm using RO/DI water from now on.

Back