hello

jef9891

Reefing newb
New to salt tanks, so bare with me. I have a 75 gal tank that was used for freshwater a while back and just been collecting dust. So i have decided to get into salt water. I talked to a person at the LFS to see what i have already that could be used.i have 2 rena XP 2s which worked very well in the freshwater, the lady said that i could use them cuz she uses them her self. I have read the forums and everyone says use a sump but im gonna try these XP2s. The lady told me to take out all the foam in them cuz they collect bacteria that you dont want in salt water. I was thinking of putting some small live rock in one of the trays, would that be ok to do. Pretty much they are just being used for a little move water movement. I bought a Koralia Evolution 750 which im gonna need another one was thinking the 1150 or another 750. We did some plumbing with the XPs to get rid of one of the thing hanging into the tank. Did a 2 into 1 then into a spray bar that cover most of the back of the tank. the spray bar needs some work cuz some how it came out a little uneven and turned:frustrat:. Also have the rena heater that hooks up to the filter intake. Plus i changed over to LED lights. I have the sand just needs to be cleaned, rocks will be here tues. Not alot of rock but enough to get it going. Skimmer has to be order next week. Oh and painted the back the other night. So i dont know if im digging my self a hole or if im on the right path. Any info or tips would helpful.
Thanks Jeff

Attachments

• 20130414_112638.jpg
    20130414_112638.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 20130414_112745.jpg
    20130414_112745.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 221
First of all welcome!

Hopefully, you never medicated in that tank.

As far as the Renas go, you're going to have to clean them on a weekly basis for them to actually help. I would ditch them altogether and stick with your skimmer and rock. Canister filters are way more trouble than they are worth.

Research, research, research. The stickies on this site are very helpful.

the tank hasnt had medication in it. So been reading if i didnt use the Renas would i be good with a hydor 750 and 1150 and skimmer

Back